Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shipping a MacBook Pro overseas

Options
  • 22-03-2013 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,

My friend is thinking of buying a MacBook Pro through a relative in the US as it is cheaper. She realises that import tax will have to be paid if shipped directly from apple but in order to avoid that she was wondering if her relative bought it, removed all its original packaging, put it in an ordinary box, and shipped it here, would customs still seize it? She can't get an answer anywhere so I said I might ask the experts here! Thanks alot!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

bmwreed wrote: »
    She realises that import tax will have to be paid if shipped directly from apple

I don't think Apple will ship anywhere else but in the US when you buy in the US, as they have online stores pretty much everywhere in the world (incl the Republic of Ireland) where people can buy locally. However, there is no import duty on laptops. But she'll be hit with 23% VAT.
    if her relative bought it, removed all its original packaging, put it in an ordinary box, and shipped it here, would customs still seize it?

Are you seriously asking for advice on smuggling? ;)

Customs can seize anything that is not declared properly and deem it contraband. She may also have to pay a fine on top of the VAT if she wants to to see the laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,893 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I've done the math, and if exchange rates are still relatively the same as last I checked, you manage no net savings on importing a mac product overseas because of taxation. Nevermind the added costs of shipping or travel, which I didn't even have factored in when I did the math. And I mean, when you did exchange rates and applied the correct taxes, you gained nothing by buying in the US and lost nothing by buying in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bmwreed

Ok thanks a million for the advice. It's definitely not worth it so!! I'll pass it on! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Ok thanks a million for the advice. It's definitely not worth it so!! I'll pass it on! :)

Someone posted a "bargain" alert here recently, Retina MBP with 128 GB SSD for 1,500 yoyos.

Advertisement