Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar Panels

Options
  • 22-03-2013 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

I live in a typical estate of typical semi-Ds (3 bed rooms, smallish) with a South facing garden. For a while I have been considering getting solar panels for our hot water needs. We have a large hot water tank and a pump on our shower but we don't need a massive amount of hot water. Right now we use our gas during the summer only to hear water for showers / baths etc.

Does anyone have any advice on

(a) economically whether it is worth it? I don't want to save a ton of money but I would like to know I will break even over time
    (b) Are there different types and are there any to avoid
    (c) Whether I am nuts for even considering it

I hope this is the right forum but please let me know if there is a more appropriate one,

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭zoom_cool

Did you get your Solar Panels I am thinking of getting some too for the same reasons fitting them myself too to keep costs down.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Mine are in , hooked up and heating... For about the last two months... Today was the first day since commissioning that we had no hot water, wouldn't be massive users...
    Our roof wouldn't be at an ideal angle and there are a few trees blocking the south eastern light but hey,
    We went with flat panel collectors but reckon the vacuum tubes would work better spring/autumn.. The budget didn't go there...
    If you're spending large on the system you'll probably not break even... Ever

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭jimmy2pens

Hi, got kingspan solar tubes fitted last febuary, We have an oil heating system, so in the past we would have had to put on oil heating or immersion to heat the water during the summer. Since we got the solar fitted once or twice between March-September we put on the oil and have not used the immersion. It will possibly not pay for itself but the comfort of coming home in the evening and having plenty of hot water is great.

Advertisement