Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advanced VBA programming

Options
  • 22-03-2013 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

I have an interview for a VBA job coming up and they want me to show them some code I've done before but he said they were looking for something that would make them go "Jeez I didn't know you could do that in VBA".
    I have plenty VBA code from a job I had a two years ago but I haven't coded in it since then. It was stuff like looping through Excel sheets and creating Word documents from them.
    I doubt they'd be impressed by that so I want to know what else could I do that might be a bit better. I know VBA pretty well but I don't know what I could do that is "advanced" (it is a fairly limited language).
    I must stress I don't want anyone to straight out give me code, I just want some pointers to what area I could look into to that is a bit more difficult to do.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭SalteeDog

terrorman wrote: »
    I have an interview for a VBA job coming up and they want me to show them some code I've done before but he said they were looking for something that would make them go "Jeez I didn't know you could do that in VBA".
    I have plenty VBA code from a job I had a two years ago but I haven't coded in it since then. It was stuff like looping through Excel sheets and creating Word documents from them.
    I doubt they'd be impressed by that so I want to know what else could I do that might be a bit better. I know VBA pretty well but I don't know what I could do that is "advanced" (it is a fairly limited language).
    I must stress I don't want anyone to straight out give me code, I just want some pointers to what area I could look into to that is a bit more difficult to do.
    Thanks

Implement Pacman on excel? Think I saw that somewhere once.

Seriously though, pretty much all the VBA i've used or seen in a professional capacity has been around reformating spreadsheets. Perhaps you could demonstrate integration with external datasources or call webservices? Integration with sharepoint or outlook maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

You can use excel plugins to do advanced stuff, like use c# instead :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37 terrorman

srsly78 wrote: »
    You can use excel plugins to do advanced stuff, like use c# instead :D

I actually don't like VBA at all (I work in C# at the moment but my pay is s***e). The pay for the job the interview is for is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

What I mean is you can call .net stuff from vba, this lets you use both together.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 terrorman

srsly78 wrote: »
    What I mean is you can call .net stuff from vba, this lets you use both together.
    Oh OK, I don't think I'll do that though. I want to convince them I am prepared to go from a C# job to a VBA one (and I have a hard enough time convincing myself of that never mind someone else:))

• Advertisement
Advertisement