Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trip To France - Power Outlets On CampSites

Options
  • 22-03-2013 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,

I'm going to france in May.

Will the standard 3 Pin outdoor power cable I use here(Orange cable with the blue male and female connectors) or will i need something to convert power to connect to campervan ?

Regards,

Donal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

you will need a 2pin for the end of your cable but a lot do them just use the the pin on the end of the cable

• Registered Users Posts: 3 doni

Thanks,

Not fully understanding you,

Do I need a standard 2 pin adaptor or 2 Pin Outdoor connector ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭db

You can get a mains hook-up like you would use at home from any caravan / motorhome accessories shop. http://charlescamping.ie/store/index.php/hook-up-adapter-continental.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭airhead_eire

From my experiences, most of the modern sites use the regular 3 pin type. I've usually come across the 2 pin type on the older sites. The 3 pins turns up the most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭SeamusG97

I found that the sites using the two pin connection tend to have an adaptor cable available to borrow at reception (usually for free). Most places use the blue three-pin connector anyway. Only seen the two pin about four or five times in eight years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 doni

Thank you Folks,

From your experience when sites have the 3 pin connector , are they using the same polarity as here ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭SeamusG97

Same polarity as here but it shouldn't be an issue even if not. It isn't uncommon to find the polarity the wrong way round on campsite supplies.
    There's a reason why reversed polarity is less desirable but it is more of a theoretical issue than an practical one - I think it has been discussed in this forum already. Appliances will work just the same and with any modern motorhome it will be perfectly safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Polarity is important for us here in three pin square land where a lot of appliances are switched only on the live side. If the polarity is reversed, ie the neutral is the live and vice versa on such appliances the unit remains live and connected to the power even though the power switch (which is now on the neutral side) may be in the off position.

In countries where the live and neutral may commonly be reversed appliances have bi-pole switched which isolate both neutral and live sides of the appliance.

It is advisable to have simple tester LIKE THIS as part of your kit to check the integrety of the supply.

One of THESE and one of THESE one of which wired wrong (live to neutral and neutral to live in one of them) with a short (300mm) piece of cable between them and connected in line in the cable between the supply socket and the vehicle can be used to correct a reversed supply from the campsite . It is one of the few situations where two wrongs do make a right ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Martin_D

niloc1951 wrote: »
    Polarity is important for us here in three pin square land where a lot of appliances are switched only on the live side. If the polarity is reversed, ie the neutral is the live and vice versa on such appliances the unit remains live and connected to the power even though the power switch (which is now on the neutral side) may be in the off position.

In countries where the live and neutral may commonly be reversed appliances have bi-pole switched which isolate both neutral and live sides of the appliance.

It is advisable to have simple tester LIKE THIS as part of your kit to check the integrety of the supply.

One of THESE and one of THESE one of which wired wrong (live to neutral and neutral to live in one of them) with a short (300mm) piece of cable between them and connected in line in the cable between the supply socket and the vehicle can be used to correct a reversed supply from the campsite . It is one of the few situations where two wrongs do make a right ;)

All that - but surely a simple rule of plugging things out if turned off is all thats needed. If you are using the appliance the flow of electricity is not an issue - if not being used just plug it out. No?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Martin_D wrote: »
    All that - but surely a simple rule of plugging things out if turned off is all thats needed. If you are using the appliance the flow of electricity is not an issue - if not being used just plug it out. No?

Of course, but it is good practice to have electric appliances correctly wired when in use which is why manufacturers go to the trouble of marking L, N and E on plugs and sockets..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

And if you can safely wire a plug or socket, always useful to have a phase tester in your tool kit.

Advertisement