Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Year of the Snake turns into the Year of Linux on the Chinese desktop?

Options
  • 22-03-2013 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭

Interesting bit of news that Canonical are working with the Chinese government to develop a Linux operating system for China

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21895723

I wonder will Canonical be forced to accept Chinas restrictive attitude to the web etc!

But the Linux march continues, :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,258 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Nothing new. They've had Red Flag Linux for years. North Korea has Red Star Linux...

Even the Chinese or North Koreans might balk at forcing Unity on their users though :pac:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

This software gives people more access to its internal workings so they can modify it themselves.

Future versions will include tools that let people use popular Chinese web services such as Baidu maps, the Taobao shopping service as well as versions of office programs and image management tools, directly from Ubuntu's main screen.

Is it only me, or is that worded in such a way to imply that this distro will be a little less restrictive than the present Chinese one?

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭human 19

Is it only me, or is that worded in such a way to imply that this distro will be a little less restrictive than the present Chinese one?

Sound to me like there will be a customised repo, with only vetted packages allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jungleaya

This is only significant in that it is the first GNU/Linux developed by a Western Corporation. They will do as they are told, possibly make a few dissapproving noises about Internet freedom & then return with a foot in the door of an enormous Chinese market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

I can hear the malware morons rubbing their hands already......

• Advertisement
Advertisement