Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photocopying of "official document" ?

Options
  • 22-03-2013 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hi, working as a paramedic I visited snap print to get a colour copy of my paramedic licence and was informed by the staff that it was illegal to make a colour copy of an official document.
    Does anyone know if this is true or might it just be their company policy ?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Might be a copyright issue

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

As far as I'm aware its an offence to present an photocopied drivers license to the Gardai. Maybe similar in this instance

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭ibebanging

Thanks was just interested as I've never heard of this before. They did say they could give me a b&w copy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

ibebanging wrote: »
    Hi, working as a paramedic I visited snap print to get a colour copy of my paramedic licence and was informed by the staff that it was illegal to make a colour copy of an official document.
    Does anyone know if this is true or might it just be their company policy ?

Many thanks.

If that is the case, then the Department of justice are breaking that law every day in asking for colour copies of official documents including passports.

I am aware of no law that makes it an offence to colour copy a official document. There is no law to even use such a copy. On the other hand if such copy is altered then that is a different matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭ibebanging

Might email snap and them is it their own policy or was it the individuals in that particular branch !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

My Fiance and I had to have full colour copies of our passports (could have been driving licenses) and our birth certificates for the pre marriage registry for the HSE registrar so it must be allowed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

My Fiance and I had to have full colour copies of our passports (could have been driving licenses) and our birth certificates for the pre marriage registry for the HSE registrar so it must be allowed.

Would that not have been registered photocopies. IE photocopied and stamped (by Garda Commisioner of oaths or other) to certify that it was a real copy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Strong arm

It seems it was illegal in the UK to colour colour copy your passport but this had been relaxed recently - also lots of restrictions in US on copying docs in colour- I have never heard of such a law here. Sounds more like company policy blindly copied from US /UK , seems a bit silly as you can easily colour copy something in other copying places. Any official purpose will look for certified copies ( copies certified to be true copies of the original by a solicitor/garda/commissioner for oaths)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

If that is the case, then the Department of justice are breaking that law every day in asking for colour copies of official documents including passports.

I am aware of no law that makes it an offence to colour copy a official document. There is no law to even use such a copy. On the other hand if such copy is altered then that is a different matter.

Aren't there offences for purporting a document as an original though?
    I doubt a Garda would accept a photocopy of your motor tax disc in your windscreen as a valid disc. It might even be considered a false document, which is an offence afaik.

I don't think it's an offence to make a copy, it's what you do with the copy that might land you in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Kevin3

slimjimmc wrote: »
    I don't think it's an offence to make a copy, it's what you do with the copy that might land you in trouble.

Exactly.

An offence under Section 25 of the Criminal Justice (Theft and Fraud Offences) Act, 2001

Related offences of using, copying and possession of a false instrument under the next four sections. All require intent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,924 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Aren't there offences for purporting a document as an original though?
    I doubt a Garda would accept a photocopy of your motor tax disc in your windscreen as a valid disc. It might even be considered a false document, which is an offence afaik.

I know some bikers, more so in the UK, attach a copy of their tax disc to the bike. They have duplicate marked on it, as theft of tax discs from bikes is common, with a note that the original is with the owner and never have issues. They could always meet a jobsworth and get done for both displaying a fake disc and coping the disc, but most people aren't that picky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

As a motorbiker I carry a photocopy of my drivers license under the seat of my bike. Have shown it to Gardai a few times and they didn't have a problem with it- they understand that things in bikes can get wet/damp, especially when stored outdoors on frosty nights. They seem to accept that having a photocopy is a good idea to prevent the original getting wet in my experience. If they want the original I can produce it at the station but they've never asked me to.

That said some day I could get a Garda who plays strictly by the rules.

Advertisement