Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for advice

Options
  • 21-03-2013 11:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭

Someone I know got a bathroom done, few problems for them, which Id like to help them get resolved. The main one is,

A washhand basin tap and bath tap were fitted, the pressure is terrible, there was never an issue with the pressure before. While this was being done, I saw that the existing 3/4inch copper pipe which had to be removed was refitted with an equivalent qualpex pipe (22mm), it appeared not be kinked or restricted in any way, plus it is two sets of taps which are affected. Nothing else has been added or removed from the setup as it was before.
    When any tap is opened, (thats on any tap) it gives the same pressure as when fully open, which is terribly poor from what it was previously.
    I have told the person that got it done, the taps seem to come from the UK/be for the UK market, but are sold here for use here, Its my belief they are for a high pressure usage, Im unsure if they are capable of being altered to suit a low pressure set up.

Am I correct in determining the problem? do most taps have removable restrictors to allow for low pressure usage? Is this likely to be fixable? or could they end up having to get them taken out?

They have been told, and I consider what they have been told excuses to just fob off the person that got the job done, so I dont swallow the excuse that was given to them for one second.
    1, there is a swan neck in the new taps, the extra height reduces the pressure, now the height difference between the exit of the current tap and the old one is a matter of maybe 4inches max, so I consider that excuse to be poor and nothing more than that, an excuse.
    2, they previously had two seperate taps, where now they have a single outlet, they have been told this also reduces the pressure.

I dont know why they are giving these excuses? and passing them off as the answer, mostly because it doesnt fix the problem and it suggests they expect that, well that is that and it will have to be tolerated.
    either they dont have a clue or did the easiest job and are fobbing off the person.
    Either way the job isnt right and I am encouraging them on getting things fixed.

It also brings me to, I think that it really shouldn't be a difficult fix, for them and fobbing it off doesnt encourage me about them.

There are a few other issues, which would annoy me and that I wouldnt tolerate.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Yeah sounds right. Its high pressure taps fitted.

Don't think they can be altered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Yeah sounds right. Its high pressure taps fitted.

Don't think they can be altered.

Thanks for the prompt reply, can I ask, how do you know they cant be altered? its not that I dont believe you, just Ive read a few threads on boards, where it has been suggested that restrictor washers can be removed to make the tap suitable for a lower pressure setup.
    Id assumed whether a restrictor washer would be fitted or not might be specific to the make?

Im hoping to get them an answer for tomorrow, I know its short notice to get replies but, It was only brought up to me again today about it.

While the person that got the job done noticed the pressure, I think they were nearly prepared to accept the problem, until I pressed them to get a solution.
    Some of other things about the job I noticed irked me too but this is the main thing

And the excuses, horse****, would people agree? I already consider them so, and while not a plumber, when I did my trade, I covered stuff in theory such as pressure and flow calculations, while I cant recall the formulas and much of the theory other than the names, nothing I have experienced in practice equates to the significant drop in pressure, in particular the excuses annoy me. I've worked in industry and have heard when people have tried to fob me/others off (Ive also heard when people have come up with plausible reasosn why something wont work)so I think I can tell when Im being fobbed off, but this reeks of excuses.

I should also say, I dont believe the person is a plumber, not that they have stated they are, they were fitting a bathroom, nor did I engage their services and unfortunately the person that did, did not follow up on my advice prior to getting the job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

I dont think taps have flow restrictors. Its more the size of the internal passages

corkgsxr wrote: »
    I dont think taps have flow restrictors. Its more the size of the internal passages

ok, thanks for the info
    The taps, in particular the bath taps are practically built in now and it will be a job to remove them, a job I consider the installer will have to do, I certainly have no interest in cleaning this mess up.
    Least of all because prior to it being done, partly due to the layout suggested, partly just concerns about access for maintenance/any issues after the install, I brought up the issue of access, and it seems that it wasnt considered.

The installer is saying thats what happens with new taps, but that further convinces me they just dont have a clue.

there are some other issues, which I'll detail later, if I can get peoples opinions.
    I think it ruins the job to have it finished where the end result makes it not as good functionally as it was before.

Follow up to this,
    was waiting to see if the original problems were sorted.

One of the other things that I consider/created a problem

The bathroom vent goes into the attic but isn't vented to outside,
    I looked at the building regs to see if this was allowed or recommended against.
    While it doesnt specifically say it isnt allowed, the installer claims thats how its done,
    the section under condensation in the regulations seems to only suggest that condensation in the roof space and above insulated ceilings should be limited, that'd be good enough for me as you cant be pumping warm moist air into a cooler space, but I was hoping there is some specific information saying you cant vent bathroom moisture laden air into an attic.

I could fix this myself, but it isnt handy to sort, I dont see why when the person that installed it should have done it right originally.

• Advertisement
Advertisement