Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

flue direction?

Options
  • 21-03-2013 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭

Excuse my pathetic drawing lol!

My new house will have no chimney brest. Instead I will be having timber constructed chimney above roof level (the one on the right will be unused, just there for decoration) and a twin insulated flue inside. The flue will be exposed downstairs (most likely) and boxed in upstairs and hidden in a stud wall/shelving unit upstairs.

My question is....does the flue path matter in relation to performance of the stove?

Which path is better for the flue? the red or blue one?

dr3uu.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Blue id say.

Is just timber ok as a boxing? Id have thought it needs abit of fire resistance?

Remember timber will self combust is it gets to dry and hot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

Either will do just go with which ever one is more practical.Has to be boxed in 1st floor room have to use a ventilated firestop.Itcan be boxed I with timber once the distance to combustibles is maintained.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Blue id say.

Why? given that it has two bends? I would have thought the red one is better as it is less bendy?

Robbie.G wrote: »
    Either will do just go with which ever one is more practical.Has to be boxed in 1st floor room have to use a ventilated firestop.Itcan be boxed I with timber once the distance to combustibles is maintained.

Whats a ventilated firestop?? Is that the thing for passing the flue through each floor level?

Will be boxed according to regs!

john_cappa wrote: »

Whats a ventilated firestop?? Is that the thing for passing the flue through each floor level?

Will be boxed according to regs!

Yes that's exactly what they are for.Your flue manufacturer will state distance from combustibles.Single wall flue no allowed through floors single wall distance from combustibles is 3 times its diameter.Twin wall can't go directly into stove a min of 1mtr single wall first.hopefully some of this will be of help to you

• Advertisement

Yes that's exactly what they are for.Your flue manufacturer will state distance from combustibles.Single wall flue no allowed through floors single wall distance from combustibles is 3 times its diameter.Twin wall can't go directly into stove a min of 1mtr single wall first.hopefully some of this will be of help to you

So the first metre from the stove up has to be normal single walled flue? then after that I can use the twin wall insulated flue?

So the first metre from the stove up has to be normal single walled flue? then after that I can use the twin wall insulated flue?
    Yes min of first mtr single wall you can run single wall up to 3 times diameter from ceiling so in other words you will be using 6inch flue so your single wall can up to 18 inches from ceiling.As I said you have to use 6 inch flue that's the min size allowed on solid fuel even if the flue collar on your stove is smaller than 6 inch

Yes min of first mtr single wall you can run single wall up to 3 times diameter from ceiling so in other words you will be using 6inch flue so your single wall can up to 18 inches from ceiling.As I said you have to use 6 inch flue that's the min size allowed on solid fuel even if the flue collar on your stove is smaller than 6 inch

Why do you have to use single walled flue for the first metre? is this in the regs or what is the reason?

Why do you have to use single walled flue for the first metre? is this in the regs or what is the reason?

Regs are vague about this but
    Its mainly down to flue manufacturers and most state twin wall can't go into stove best way is what ever flue your using check with them

Advertisement