Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does the expression Republic of Ireland or ROI have a place on government forms.

Options
  • 21-03-2013 8:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭

I feel that it doesn't.

I just notice that the info booklet that came with the property tax letter had a refers to "inside the ROI" and "outside the ROI".

Given that the name of the country is given as "Éire" in the constitution or "Ireland" in the English language I'm a little disappointed to see ROI in this setting.

I'm not saying that the usage creates any sort of confusion, I just feel that it's general use is wrong, and that this particular use, by a government department is awful.

Maybe I'm a mile off??

"Legal issues" may or may not be the place for this discussion, apologies if its not.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

i was always under the presumption that 'Republic of Ireland' was a soccer term only, as used by FIFA and UEFA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

I personally couldn't care less. Everyone know what is meant by ROI and there *could* be some confusion if it was just Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

i was always under the presumption that 'Republic of Ireland' was a soccer term only, as used by FIFA and UEFA?
    I

Yes no mention of the republic of Ireland any where till Euro 88

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

FIFA, UEFA, and the department of finance it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

You still have to pay the tax.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It's to avoid confusion. If they just put down Ireland, it could be too ambiguous as it may be talking about Ireland the country or the island. Both are considered acceptable. Similarly to how South Korea can also be called the Republic of Korea.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

• Registered Users Posts: 26,165 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

"Republic of Ireland" is the description of the state, per the Republic of Ireland Act 1948, to which usernamegoes helpfully links.

The name of the state ("Ireland") is most commonly used for official purposes, but if there is a danger of confusion between the state and the geographical country of the same name - the whole island - then the description of the state is used to avoid ambiguity. In particular, when it's a question of whether land is located within the state, then the description of the state is often used, since there's a great deal of land in Ireland (the country) which is not in Ireland (the state).

Advertisement