Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a website to review barristers?

Options
  • 21-03-2013 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,

I have discovered that the rate my solicitor website is now defunct. I was wondering if a similar website exists to rate barristers' performances for members of the general public. I have already found the Bar Council of Ireland barrister database online and that's been fairly helpful to give me some detail on barristers.

Are there any other professional organisation websites that I can look up? I checked the LinkedIn website but no joy.

I also would like to know if it would be okay to ask whether a particular barrister is good or not on this forum or whether that's against the rules here.

Thanks

Comments

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Hi all,

I have discovered that the rate my solicitor website is now defunct. I was wondering if a similar website exists to rate barristers' performances for members of the general public. I have already found the Bar Council of Ireland barrister database online and that's been fairly helpful to give me some detail on barristers.

Are there any other professional organisation websites that I can look up? I checked the LinkedIn website but no joy.

I also would like to know if it would be okay to ask whether a particular barrister is good or not on this forum or whether that's against the rules here.

Thanks

That is not allowed here - sorry. A rating service like that would undoubtedly be problematic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

The legal 500 gives a list of some of the top Barristers in particular areas but its not very helpful to be honest. It names about 20 Senior Counsel in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Best bet might be to check all the various court reports for cases involving the Barristers that you're interested in and gauge your own 'review' of their performance from those I reckon.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Your solicitor will advise you on your selection of barrister.

Horses and courses

RYS was often grossly inaccurate and in many case defamatory

• Registered Users Posts: 2 diligent222

P_1 wrote: »
    Best bet might be to check all the various court reports for cases involving the Barristers that you're interested in and gauge your own 'review' of their performance from those I reckon.

Hi-thanks..this is a really helpful tip. What magazine/journal would I have to read to find out about their performance in various cases?

I have been given a recommendation already for a barrister via my solicitor however I would like to get an independent recommendation on the matter. I feel like word of mouth recommendations have served me well in the past with regard to various professionals-e.g. a friend recommended my G.P, hairdresser etc.

I agree that the comments on the rate my solicitor website should have been moderated-that the reviewers should have been forced to stick to the facts i.e. how their case went, what the solicitor did/didn't do for them etc. as opposed to giving their opinion e.g. things like name calling. I really feel like there is a huge demand within the general public for independent advice regarding legal professionals and it's a shame that there is no resource out there at present for this purpose.

Thanks everyone for your help and feedback so far!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

What kind of case is it without giving away details? People could private message you names.

Advertisement