Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Western Greenway

Options
  • 21-03-2013 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi,

I'm thinking of doing a section of the Great Western Greenway. I am not a cyclist, I haven't really been on a bike since I was a child so I don't think I could manage the 42km and back.

Which section would you recommend? I was thinking either Newport to Mulranny or Mulranny to Achill as I think these would be the most scenic. I won't need to rent a bike so I was wondering would any of the bike companies that pick up their customers pick up others for a fee so I could cycle more without having to back track.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,434 ✭✭✭✭Alun

We're not cyclists either (we are fairly fit hikers though), and did the Mulranny to Achill (and back) and Mulranny to Newport sections in one day. We stayed at the Mulranny Hotel and we organised the bike hire through Clew Bay bike hire (www.clewbayoutdoors.ie). They delivered the bikes to the hotel in the morning, and I think they sometimes will pick you up in Newport and take you back to Mulranny if you ask, but due to a mix-up / miscommunication they couldn't do that in the end and we had to get a taxi back and leave the bikes at their place in Newport. If you're planning something like that then it's best to check with them first to make 100% sure.

I have to say that IMO the Mulranny - Achill part was the nicest and most scenic, and if you're still feeling fresh when you get to Achill Sound you can continue on and explore the island via some small roads. The other section was a little more demanding with some very gradual but quite long climbs in places, plus a good number of detours off the main railway alignment.

BTW the Mulranny Hotel do some quite reasonable deals, especially mid week, and the Greenway runs right behind the hotel which is convenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 scarn

Thanks for that. I was thinking starting in Achill would be a go idea so we go explore the island when we come back, by car if needed. I'm not the fittest so don't want to bite of more than I can chew :) I'm fairly familiar with Achill and there are some great hills so that might be the plan.

Thanks again for the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

We did the Mulranny to Newport section not long after it first opened, have'nt done the Achill section yet but was told that its harder then the Mulranny- Newport section. Not that its overly difficult or anything. If you have a decent bike and give yourself plenty of time then you'll be fine and will enjoy it.
    Im really looking forward to the Ougtherard-Clifden Greenway being built which hopefully they will start later this year. It has the potential to be another successful tourist initiative as the Mulranny one has been and when it's completed all the way to Galway City it will be even more successful.

Advertisement