Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Community Wardens and Parking fine in Galway

Options
  • 21-03-2013 2:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

SIL got a parking fine in the post today; which she feels is unfair.

She was stopped outside the €2 shop in Eglington street while my wife went into get a birthday card.

Two community wardens came along, stopped not far from her car and were standing talking to each other.

One then headed off on his own, 2nd came over to SIL and told her she should move the car as she was in a loading area; she said OK and immediately moved-off.

The notice to-day said that the fine was for parking in the loading area and that the community warden was unable to attach the fine to the car.

At no stage did the warden tell the SIL that she was getting a ticket and fine and she moved when requested to do so.

Would the be any point in appealing the fine?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Seeing as she was in the car at the time, and actually had verbal exchange with the warden; absolutely.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,758 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Simple question: was she parked in a loading zone when she shouldn't have been? A Yes/No answer will do. And the same answer applies to whether it was fair or not.

Save all the excuses about she was in the car, it was only for a minute, yadda, yadda, yadda.

IMHO the CW's only mistake was not attaching the ticket at the same time he told her to move the car.

(And I'm not saying that I've never done it - just that if I got caught, I'd pay the fine like and adult who takes responsibility for the consequences of their actions.)

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

did she have the magic 'im invisible' hazard lights on too? they make a difference.

for once im agreeing with Mrs OBumble

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭finlma

Do the crime, do the time. She got a ticket for being in a loading bay when she should not have been. You don't really have a leg to stand on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

After a quick look I can't find any legal definition of "parking" in the bye laws, worth investigation as if it's not defined then how can one be illegally parked?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,899 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Agree with all the above posts, Eglinton street is the most abused street in Galway for breaking the law, "Into the Post Office" into "Shops" etc, if you want to do anything there park your car in a designated area and dont be breaking the law. I pass that way every moring at around 8.30 and parents just stop at the school to let out their kids blocking the traffic turning right onto Eglinto Street with a green light, others park all along the yellow lines put on the flashers and go about their business.

Fair play to the warden

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Play To Kill

On what grounds would she be appealing? She was illegally parked. I drive a van for a living and often cant use loading areas because of people who park private cars in loading bays, it drives me nuts.

On what grounds would she be appealing? She was illegally parked. I drive a van for a living and often cant use loading areas because of people who park private cars in loading bays, it drives me nuts.

But she wouldn't be causing you a problem because there was still somebody in the car available to move it if required. So why do they need the ticket when they are not causing an obstruction to the loading bay?

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

she moved in from the road into a loading bay, stopped her car=parked.

why do drivers in galway think its ok to break the rules and then complain when they get caught.

the person was in the wrong, get over it and pay. maybe might teach others not to do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I drive a van for a living and often cant use loading areas because of people who park private cars in loading bays, it drives me nuts.

Agreed. This is a very common offence, and one that is too often overlooked. When motorists park illegally in loading bays, commercial drivers on schedules who need to unload have no option but to find an alternative parking spot nearby. Consequently there are knock-on adverse effects for other road users.

Unfortunately, in Galway City at least, the number of tickets given out for misuse of loading bays is tiny.

• Advertisement

paulgalway wrote: »
    SIL got a parking fine in the post today; which she feels is unfair.

She was stopped outside the €2 shop in Eglington street while my wife went into get a birthday card.

Two community wardens came along, stopped not far from her car and were standing talking to each other.

One then headed off on his own, 2nd came over to SIL and told her she should move the car as she was in a loading area; she said OK and immediately moved-off.

The notice to-day said that the fine was for parking in the loading area and that the community warden was unable to attach the fine to the car.

At no stage did the warden tell the SIL that she was getting a ticket and fine and she moved when requested to do so.

Would the be any point in appealing the fine?

Is it possible that the first warden issued the ticket later?

I'm led to believe that in the past nearly one in every six parking fines was revoked on appeal. That doesn't make me happy, by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Play To Kill

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Agreed. This is a very common offence, and one that is too often overlooked. When motorists park illegally in loading bays, commercial drivers on schedules who need to unload have no option but to find an alternative parking spot nearby. Consequently there are knock-on adverse effects for other road users.

Unfortunately, in Galway City at least, the number of tickets given out for misuse of loading bays is tiny.

And the worst thing about it is many will just sit in their parked cars and refuse to move to let you park and go about your business.

I have the same problem as a pedestrian.

I have been told to Foxtrot Oscar several times on the basis of "who's going to do anything about it?"

That's the basic problem all round: lack of enforcement leads to blatant gob****ery.

Galway City needs more strategically-sited loading bays, in my opinion, and better regulation of their use.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,307 ✭✭✭✭Victor

paulgalway wrote: »
    the community warden was unable to attach the fine to the car ...
    ... as the motorist would likely engage in a breach of the peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭paulgalway

Simple question: was she parked in a loading zone when she shouldn't have been? A Yes/No answer will do. And the same answer applies to whether it was fair or not.

Save all the excuses about she was in the car, it was only for a minute, yadda, yadda, yadda.

IMHO the CW's only mistake was not attaching the ticket at the same time he told her to move the car.

(And I'm not saying that I've never done it - just that if I got caught, I'd pay the fine like and adult who takes responsibility for the consequences of their actions.)

I have an oxygen cylinder here if you want it considering you are on the high moral ground. :).

And have you a carrot for my horse? The highest in the land, allegedly. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Although I agree that the car should not have been parked there surely the Warden was also in the wrong for not issuing the ticket when he able to do so.

The warden must have already noted the reg number, so must have had time to attached it.

All very strange.

Although I agree that the car should not have been parked there surely the Warden was also in the wrong for not issuing the ticket when he able to do so.

The warden must have already noted the reg number, so must have had time to attached it.

All very strange.

Must have been short of quota for the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

antoobrien wrote: »
    After a quick look I can't find any legal definition of "parking" in the bye laws, worth investigation as if it's not defined then how can one be illegally parked?

Look a bit further, maybe at the Interpretation Act, which covers words meaning what everyone thinks they mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Look a bit further, maybe at the Interpretation Act, which covers words meaning what everyone thinks they mean.

I drove coaches for a while, many years ago, in the U.K. and can remember in my home town taxis had to stop on the taxi rank to let passengers out because of double yellow lines, and they then had to cross a busy road with their suitcases.

Interpretation can mean different things to different people.

Were the taxis parked if they stopped on the lines?. Well yes if you look at it from the point of view that there was no-one behind the wheel.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 claregalway1

Seeing as she was in the car at the time, and actually had verbal exchange with the warden; absolutely.

completly idiot you are stop giving ****e advise

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

completly idiot you are stop giving ****e advise

banned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 claregalway11

HAHAHAHAH HEHEHEHHE

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

It's defined in the Road Traffic Act
    “park”, in relation to a vehicle, means keep or leave stationary, and cognate words shall be construed accordingly;

slimjimmc wrote: »
    It's defined in the Road Traffic Act

Well then by that definition one is "parked" at a red light.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

But she wouldn't be causing you a problem because there was still somebody in the car available to move it if required. So why do they need the ticket when they are not causing an obstruction to the loading bay?

by that logic anyone can "park" anywhere and not pay - simply because there is someone in the car available to move it if required !!! ..... I'll bring my 17yr old around with me so I can put the car anywhere and he can move it if required ...do you take the same attitude to disabled bays ??

FFS - pay up and learn your lesson.

(after saying all that everyone is entitled to load/unload in a loading bay .... not just commercial vehicles and depending on the by-laws there is usually a grace period for parking, but in this case I believe the person who was parking was not loading/unloading and simply ignoring the rules and should pay the fine.)

OP - would it make a difference if it was a disabled bay and instead of a delivery driver being unable to park it would be someone with a disability ? (the person parking never sees the knock on effect of their BAD parking, a van driver might have to do a loop two or three times or a disabled person might have to park half a mile away in the next available bay)

Corkbah wrote: »
    by that logic anyone can "park" anywhere and not pay - simply because there is someone in the car available to move it if required !!! ..... I'll bring my 17yr old around with me so I can put the car anywhere and he can move it if required ...do you take the same attitude to disabled bays ??

FFS - pay up and learn your lesson.

Interesting lack of logic, entering a parking zone (e.g. a car park) of any description requires payment. Although for street parking, if you can keep ahead of the wardens it will be possible to use your 17 year old in that fashion, I'd like to see you try something like that in the docks car park.
    (after saying all that everyone is entitled to load/unload in a loading bay .... not just commercial vehicles

Nope, in Galway commercial tax is required, I know a few people who had vehicles that had sign writing on them but were not commercially taxed (not sure why, but I think it was because the vehicles were bought primarily as family vehicles), so were done by the wardens.
    but in this case I believe the person who was parking was not loading/unloading and simply ignoring the rules and should pay the fine.)

That depends on the definition of loading/unloading. Buying anything in the shops makes it loading, so not technically illegal.

But since the car was not parked - as in the driver had not left it, I don't see the problem.

There is a serious lack of common sense from anybody who thinks that this is equivalent to parking the car, leaving it and wandering off for a half hour. There is no obstruction being caused here.

Well then by that definition one is "parked" at a red light.

Nonsense.

Who "keeps" or "leaves stationary" a car at a red light in traffic?

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Nonsense.

Who "keeps" or "leaves stationary" a car at a red light in traffic?

Anybody waiting for the red light to change.

I've seen cases recently where a car is kept stationary through three cycles of lights (was caught behind it in a bus).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

Interesting lack of logic, entering a parking zone (e.g. a car park) of any description requires payment. Although for street parking, if you can keep ahead of the wardens it will be possible to use your 17 year old in that fashion, I'd like to see you try something like that in the docks car park.

lack of logic ???
    ok - I was talking about on street parking and by park anywhere I meant, disabled bays, loading bays, single yellow lines, double yellow lines, clearways ...on street parking !!
    Nope, in Galway commercial tax is required, I know a few people who had vehicles that had sign writing on them but were not commercially taxed (not sure why, but I think it was because the vehicles were bought primarily as family vehicles), so were done by the wardens.
    have you checked the by-laws ? or RSA approved rules of the road or are you basing it on hearsay, you said you know a few people .... but did those people tell you the full story or just their version of events ?? (is it possible that those people were bragging or unusually parked for a long time in loading bays - abusing the facility)
    That depends on the definition of loading/unloading. Buying anything in the shops makes it loading, so not technically illegal.
    I stand corrected loading bays are for commercial vehicles only - ordinary cars can park on double yellows (in Dublin anyway) for a period of 30mins to load/unload a vehicle....and I do NOT consider popping into the shops as loading/unloading - thats shopping !!

Ask yourself this .... how is shopping loading/unloading ? .... while you are walking around inside the shop what are you doing ? what is your car doing ? ...answer... you are shopping while walking around inside the shop !! and while you are shopping your vehicle is parked (Illegally) ...so there is no "Technically" legal or illegal !!
    But since the car was not parked - as in the driver had not left it, I don't see the problem.
    Don't try to find a loophole in the system saying it was not parked because the driver was still in it, you are asking for trouble by doing this, the car was stationary ...yes !
    if the driver was in the vehicle why would the driver not simply drop the passenger off and drive around in the absence of a parking space (as per the rules of the road)
    There is a serious lack of common sense from anybody who thinks that this is equivalent to parking the car, leaving it and wandering off for a half hour. There is no obstruction being caused here.
    its the exact same as leaving the car in a disabled bay - it doesn't matter if you have someone in the car or not - other drivers see the space "taken" by your vehicle which means they have to seek another space - so it has a knock on effect.

would you do the same in a disabled bay ? (its only popping into the shops ...right !!! )

Advertisement