Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letter to birth sibling

Options
  • 20-03-2013 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Ok the story is long...hubby got a letter a few months ago stating that someone was looking for information about him from the hse.hubby's 1st thought was that it was his birth mam but it turned out that it was a birth sibling...turns out that his mam had 5 children put up for adoption. He met his brother who started the search and we are now keeping in contact and they are lovely but after meeting last weekend we talked about sending a letter ourselves to 1 of the other siblings who said at the moment she didn't want any contact. Now the lads reckon it is because she probably thinks that it is a birth mother looking for contact and hubby was thinking of sending a letter through the social worker explaining that it is siblings trying to make contact and that they are not pressuring her in any way but they just wanted her to know who is looking if she changes her mind.What do you think...is it a good idea and can the social worker refuse to pass this letter on .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 dublin 8

hi there . your case sounds so much like what i am doing at the moment ,im trying to trace my siblings ?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭mamafi

Hi dublin8,
    Since we put up that post the social worker has refused to pass on the letter.We then spoke to someone in AAI who got the file on the search the sw did and reviewed it.While 1 search she did was done the wrong way and she was told to do that search again, the sw's decision on the letter and her refusal to send it still stands so hubby cannot send his letter to his sister...very sad that you are not allowed contact with someone that is part of your family. He had no info in the letter to tell his sister who he was or where he was from just that he was a sibling and that there were more than just him...very sad that other people can make the decision to stop you making contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kristannah

I think it would be a good idea! I mean if she doesn't want to contact after that it's her choice but you can still show her that you guys are interested. That's sweet though I have got in contact with my sibling and it is great i met them about 7 or 8 years ago but in my case my dad ran off on my mom and had 9 kids with another woman

• Registered Users Posts: 2 marycork

mamafi wrote: »
    Ok the story is long...hubby got a letter a few months ago stating that someone was looking for information about him from the hse.hubby's 1st thought was that it was his birth mam but it turned out that it was a birth sibling...turns out that his mam had 5 children put up for adoption. He met his brother who started the search and we are now keeping in contact and they are lovely but after meeting last weekend we talked about sending a letter ourselves to 1 of the other siblings who said at the moment she didn't want any contact. Now the lads reckon it is because she probably thinks that it is a birth mother looking for contact and hubby was thinking of sending a letter through the social worker explaining that it is siblings trying to make contact and that they are not pressuring her in any way but they just wanted her to know who is looking if she changes her mind.What do you think...is it a good idea and can the social worker refuse to pass this letter on .
    Did his sibling have to his birth mothers permission to contact him

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭mamafi

Did his sibling have to his birth mothers permission to contact him
    Hi Marycork,
    To make a long story short hubbys birth mam had 7 children,the eldest she was told by her mother she could bring home,the next 5 were adopted and she also had a still birth. hubbys youngest sibling started his search and sw found hid bm.He wrote her a letter and the next step was to meet her but because of personal reasons he had to put the meeting on hold for a while. When he went back to the sw to tell her he was now in a position to meet his bm he was told he was to late because she had passed away...really hard for him so he started a search for birth siblings.

• Advertisement
Advertisement