Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

switching from carers benefit to carers allowance

Options
  • 20-03-2013 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks. I'm finding it hard to find a thread that deals with switching from carers benefit to carers allowance. I'm looking for advice from people who's carers benefit expired and they switched to carers allowance. Should I expect waiting times to be as long as people who are applying for carers allowance as new carers? My claim is with the medical examiner at the moment. I rang carers last week and they told my that they are moving through claims fairly quickly ...... at the same time they couldn't tell me how long I might be waiting.

Also I was told that when my claim finished that I was to go to the CWO to make a claim while I am waiting for the carers claim to be looked at. My husband isn't working full time but gets some work from time to time ie he could work 2 weeks and then be off and sign for 3 weeks. Would this go against me for my claim for supplementary welfare?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Nelly 21

Nelly 21 wrote: »
    Hi Folks. I'm finding it hard to find a thread that deals with switching from carers benefit to carers allowance. I'm looking for advice from people who's carers benefit expired and they switched to carers allowance. Should I expect waiting times to be as long as people who are applying for carers allowance as new carers? My claim is with the medical examiner at the moment. I rang carers last week and they told my that they are moving through claims fairly quickly ...... at the same time they couldn't tell me how long I might be waiting.

Also I was told that when my claim finished that I was to go to the CWO to make a claim while I am waiting for the carers claim to be looked at. My husband isn't working full time but gets some work from time to time ie he could work 2 weeks and then be off and sign for 3 weeks. Would this go against me for my claim for supplementary welfare?

No info on carers anyone. Would love to hear from someone who has been in the same position as me

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭mashedbanana

Any news yet from the department?

Not a word yet. My carers benefit is finished from next week. I'll be ringing them on monday. The last I heard was that they were getting through claims a bit quicker.

Any news yet from the department?

I get a letter from them this morning asking for up to date statements and letters and stuff so hopefully it seems to be moving along. I wonder how long it takes for the inspector to come out. Does anyone know if they do inhouse inspections or does the inspector call out to the applicants house for every case

Nelly 21 wrote: »
    I get a letter from them this morning asking for up to date statements and letters and stuff so hopefully it seems to be moving along. I wonder how long it takes for the inspector to come out. Does anyone know if they do inhouse inspections or does the inspector call out to the applicants house for every case
    My situation seems to differ from others, and to be honest, I don't know why. When filling in the application form for carers allowance I added about 8 A4 sized sheets of what you might called 'extra information' to help my application. I probably went on..and on.. and on.. lol. Of course we had already been awarded the Domicillary Allowance. Again, I added reams of paper with that application also. They had me and my husbands PRSI numbers, and obviously name & address of hubbys employer. But I was never ever asked for bank statements. From what I hear most people were asked for this information. Nor did I have an inspector come visiting us. I'd imagine that when the domicillary is 'up for renewal' it would be THEN I'd meet an inspector. Mind you, our situation is somewhat different I suppose, as there are a number of issues my my son, rather then one very obvious problem. If you do get a house visit, which I hear is quite common, try not to worry. It seems they are in the process of dealing with you application. Plenty of medical letters, supporting our application, will certainly help you.

• Advertisement

Mashedbannana I went back through your posts before asking where you stand with your claim. I see you have been awarded carers, great load off you mind I'm sure, thats brilliant!

I was asked for letters from my employer (I'm just doing 2 hours a week for 8 weeks) and from my husbands employers (he hasn't worked in a couple of months), along with all financial statements from the last 3 months. They must have done an inhouse assessment with you. I had never heard of that but someone told me last week that they do that sometimes. I'm just a bit of a worry wart and hate the thoughts of the assessment with the inspector!!

Also when I rang previously they told me that the claim was with the medical examiner, I wonder if that end of things have been sorted

I got my domicillary allowance last year, and awarded the carers a few weeks back ( I should have applied for both, at the same time)
    But no..no in house assessment done. Like I said though, I absolutely loaded up the paperwork with the Carers allowance application. :-)

I got my domicillary allowance last year, and awarded the carers a few weeks back ( I should have applied for both, at the same time)
    But no..no in house assessment done. Like I said though, I absolutely loaded up the paperwork with the Carers allowance application. :-)

Maybe I'll load up my own so with the info that I am sending in so! Thanks!!

Advertisement