Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calling all those who have started or completed a research Masters/PhD

Options
  • 20-03-2013 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi there

I want to apply for a Masters/PhD in Sociology or Health Promotion, but at the moment haven't narrowed it down to which topic I want to proceed with.

I'm worried about approaching possible supervisors as yet, as I'm assuming they will want me to be fairly informed and knowledgable about my area, and since it's been ten years since I studied sociology, I have a lot of catching up to do before I approach them, but really want to work in this area.

I am also concerned about my grades. Received 2:2 in Soc. Degree, 2:1 in H.Dip, but wondering if this will stop me getting accepted?

Finally, funding. I need to get this funded, so I am wondering if by not speaking with the possible supervisor in question, am I wasting valuable time. Also, how likely is it that I will get funded, and do supervisors help with this?

What kind of discussion takes place between you and supervisor when you first approach them?
    What do they expect from you at this point and what is it they are looking for in a possible PhD candidate?
    Finally, funding? Is it wiser to choose a topic currently being funded for scholarships by the EU, or topics that are of current interest to industry/the economy and therefore, government.

Would appreciate any information you could give.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

38Flowers wrote: »
    I am also concerned about my grades. Received 2:2 in Soc. Degree, 2:1 in H.Dip, but wondering if this will stop me getting accepted?
    If it's ten years since you graduated, then it's probably not a major issue.
    38Flowers wrote: »
    Finally, funding. I need to get this funded, so I am wondering if by not speaking with the possible supervisor in question, am I wasting valuable time. Also, how likely is it that I will get funded, and do supervisors help with this?

What kind of discussion takes place between you and supervisor when you first approach them?
    What do they expect from you at this point and what is it they are looking for in a possible PhD candidate?
    Finally, funding? Is it wiser to choose a topic currently being funded for scholarships by the EU, or topics that are of current interest to industry/the economy and therefore, government.
    I would suggest you have a look for advertised positions that already have funding - this will give you an idea of both current research trends and what would be expected of an applicant for such a position. For example:

http://www.jobs.ac.uk/cgi-bin/search.cgi?category=1100&jobtype=02

Also, consult the websites of schools/faculties you are interested in working at - they'll give you a good idea of the active research taking place there.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭38Flowers

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

Advertisement