Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing training firms mid contract

Options
  • 20-03-2013 5:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

I've been working in one of the big 4 for the past 6 months in tax. I know now that I definitely don't want most of my experience to be in this area and would much prefer to be in audit, however my firm will not let me change departments because they're understaffed at the moment.

Is it possible to change firms in the middle of your training contract? I'm also worried how it would look to other firms that I apply to that I am leaving this company after only 6 months working there. I'm hoping to apply somewhere now and start after my exams in June.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭mark_m360

I've been working in one of the big 4 for the past 6 months in tax. I know now that I definitely don't want most of my experience to be in this area and would much prefer to be in audit, however my firm will not let me change departments because they're understaffed at the moment.

Is it possible to change firms in the middle of your training contract? I'm also worried how it would look to other firms that I apply to that I am leaving this company after only 6 months working there. I'm hoping to apply somewhere now and start after my exams in June.

Yes you can change firms in a training contract. However, your contract will restart. That is to say, that it will take you 3.5 years(or 3 years if you have masters)regardless of having completed 6 months in your current firm.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭JD Dublin

mark_m360 wrote: »
    Yes you can change firms in a training contract. However, your contract will restart. That is to say, that it will take you 3.5 years(or 3 years if you have masters)regardless of having completed 6 months in your current firm.
    I think that's wrong - I know because one of the trainees I had under contract switched to another firm. Your contract does not start again. Check with the Institute if in doubt.

If you do leave, don't leave a sour taste with the firm you are leaving - Dublin is a small town and it's a long life, so you will run across the same people again and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭mark_m360

JD Dublin wrote: »
    I think that's wrong - I know because one of the trainees I had under contract switched to another firm. Your contract does not start again. Check with the Institute if in doubt.

If you do leave, don't leave a sour taste with the firm you are leaving - Dublin is a small town and it's a long life, so you will run across the same people again and again.

Check the CAI Facebook page. There was a post a while ago about this issue and what I said was their response. The op should contact them for further clarification.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭JD Dublin

mark_m360 wrote: »
    Check the CAI Facebook page. There was a post a while ago about this issue and what I said was their response. The op should contact them for further clarification.
    Fair enough - but bear in mind I was the training principal in a chartered firm, the trainee was contracted to me, so I am talking from practical experience here.

But having said that you may be correct, maybe the position has changed.

By the way OP I would think long and hard about changing firm, as contracts do not grow on trees. Make sure you get a comittment from the new firm before going to your existing firm to tell them you are changing firm.

Lastly, the last people I would go to for advice are on this are CAI, they may not necessarily have your interests at heart, the person you deal with may even know someone in your existing firm and land you in the dirt by telling them that you are thinking of switching...Again personal experience in dealing with CAI.

Ignore at your peril...

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Prettyblack

You can change your contract if you get agreement from your current firm, and your new one. There's a section on the contract that both parties can fill in to transfer over to a new firm. But obviously your current firm would have to be happy with your leaving and going to another firm.

Doing it this way means you won't have to restart the contract. Considering you're only 6 months in, that's not too bad; the training contracts have a 1 year probationary period anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement