Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 Radiator Not Working

Options
  • 19-03-2013 10:15pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,

I've a normal Oil fired central heading system, everything working perfectly but for 1 radiator in the box room that doesn't work. I've been told that as I've a pressurised system that the radiators wouldn't be air locked, I tried to bleed the radiator anyway, no air in it, just water. I've a red "balloon" valve in the attic that has a bike type valve on the top of it, I don't want to go tinkering with anything that could break something else (I'm useless with DIY stuff), any tips on what to try would be greatly appreciated.

Oh yeah, the radiator is upstairs in the box room, probably the furtherest away from the boiler.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

Don't touch the "balloon", Have you tried turning off other radiators ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Nope, is there other ones I should turn off all others?

Sorry if these are n00b questions

Turn others off to see if you get circulation then.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Will do, thanks Billy, will report back tomorrow with feedback :)

And make sure the valve/thermostat is open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Hi all,
    piggy backing onto this thread but i turned off all other rads in order to get the heat into the 2-3 troublesome ones and that was grand they were warm (not hot) then gradually turned on the rest of the rads and the troublesome ones went ice cold again!
    I am stumped!!!

Clareman wrote: »

just started to happen to me gradually one,two and three rads not heating.
    need to find out whats the story asap!

seanin4711 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    piggy backing onto this thread but i turned off all other rads in order to get the heat into the 2-3 troublesome ones and that was grand they were warm (not hot) then gradually turned on the rest of the rads and the troublesome ones went ice cold again!
    I am stumped!!!

Was this all of a sudden or was it always like this ? have you had need to touch any valves in the hot press ??

Was this all of a sudden or was it always like this ? have you had need to touch any valves in the hot press ??

was never great heat out of a certain two rads in the back of semi-d just baove boiler more or less.
    not much in the way of valves in the hot press!one or two red on/off valves.
    thanks for reply
    pressure on guage at boiler is up on 2.3 bar but no other gauge in hot press.
    heat on at 20degrees and all rads off except for 3 bad ones and luke warm at best.
    bled them and full of water.
    confused!

Can you take some pictures of your hot press and show pipe and valve locations.

• Advertisement

Can you take some pictures of your hot press and show pipe and valve locations.

now not much heat out of any rads after turning all on and bleeding them!
    sweet jesus tonight!
    pics to follow asap!now

hope you get this
    john

The valve on the floor below the pressure vessel, close the valve slowly in half turns counting the amount of half turns to fully closed, then run the heating and check the rads.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

I've just had the problem of a rad not heating, it has a thermostat and I suspected that might be the problem. I took the thermostat off that rad and another and saw that a plunger in the valve body was stuck down in the non-operational one. A light tap with a spanner cured the problem.

The valve on the floor below the pressure vessel, close the valve slowly in half turns counting the amount of half turns to fully closed, then run the heating and check the rads.

I will try that this afternoon ,up until 12.30 last night getting frustrated.
    thanks for that.
    John

To recap
    I turned off all rads except for the cold ones,they warmed up but not hot.
    Gradually turned on remaining rads on system and now all are cold or room temp at best.
    Is there a small tank in attic with a stop cock that could be stuck?
    Or is that an option?

There is no tank in the loft in your case, its a pressurized system, with too much pressure actually, but that can easily be sorted once rads are.

How did you get on ?

There is no tank in the loft in your case, its a pressurized system, with too much pressure actually, but that can easily be sorted once rads are.

oil runs out typically!
    I have ordered more and he should be here in the next hour!

Oil in now and system fired up!
    just waiting to try what you recommended!
    asap!

photos of the boiler and pressure is about 2.3-4 bar at the moment.

6 half turns to close that valve
    put pump on setting 3 just to blast through anything that might be stuck in the system.(normally on setting #2)

update:3 cold rads are heating up somewhat now.

Am I right in thinking that what you recommended was to cut the supply to the tank and just circulate the hot water around the system firstly,then open the valve to the tank gradually(50%) in order to fill that too?
    thanks
    john

seanin4711 wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking that what you recommended was to cut the supply to the tank and just circulate the hot water around the system firstly,then open the valve to the tank gradually(50%) in order to fill that too?
    thanks
    john

Thats right, and i would just crack it open 3 half turns and see how you go, remove head of valve once set, your pump is 5hite by the way, and i would lower the pressure to 1-1.5 bar, you can let water out a bleed valve for this.

Thats right, and i would just crack it open 3 half turns and see how you go, remove head of valve once set, your pump is 5hite by the way, and i would lower the pressure to 1-1.5 bar, you can let water out a bleed valve for this.

thanks for pointing me in the right direction.how would a find a bleed valve?

• Advertisement

The bleed valves for removing air from the radiators.

The bleed valves for removing air from the radiators.

thought there was a bleed valve on the boiler that I had to go at.
    thanks again!

How did you get on ?

Sorry, young baby and cold weather combined with a wife shouting at me for turning off the radiators means that I haven't gotten around to it yet, sorry. The fact that it's my office that the radiator is in means she doesn't mind too much :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

Sorry, young baby and cold weather combined with a wife shouting at me for turning off the radiators means that I haven't gotten around to it yet, sorry. The fact that it's my office that the radiator is in means she doesn't mind too much :o
    Women ðŸ˜

Finally gotten around to turning off the rads :o:o:o

No joy, I did notice though that the radiator in the bathroom was cold as well, I bled that and it's fine now, I did notice it was badly air locked.

Advertisement