Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Controller set for first build

Options

Comments

hay,
    I'd go ipac all they way.
    I wouldn't recommend those buttons (the ones in the ipac kit) but thats personal preference.
    I had them before and there a pain.and crazy noisy and loads of travel.
    Had the ones that are in the non i-pac and they were grand.

Get your parts separately off gremlin solutions !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

urbanledge wrote: »
    Get your parts separately off gremlin solutions !

This. Stay away from those parts bundles, overpriced & usually generic rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

I'd buy separately too. Having tried other keyboard encoders in the past I'd also recommend the ipac, they just work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Are you running Mame on RasPi or using it to make controller ?

Anyhows,
    The non-IPAC one will present itself to the host (PC or RasPi) as a pair of Joysticks with a heap of buttons each.
    You cannot change the configuration of these, Button 1 on the PCB will always be Button 1 for that joystick. But Mame and most PC frontends can be configured to work (fully) with a single joystick. I'm using something similar to this on my Mame-Hyperspin PC and never have to reach for the keyboard as everything can be controlled from the joystick.

The IPAC is a keyboard emulator and every input can be reprogrammed to whatever keystroke you want - comes with a nice gui so you can visually draw your control panel and map the buttons accordingly. Also the ability to 'shift' keys effectively doubling up the number of keys available, add macros to alter the volume on the PC etc.
    Incredibly versatile but obviously more expensive and you may not need a lot of these extra features.
    Its does require a driver though (at least for the GUI to reprogram it) so I don't know if it works with Raspi.

the ipac does come pre programmed for mame and could be programmed via a pc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Morkin

Thanks folks,

Have had a good look around Ultramarc and Gremlin. I'm not pushed about extra programmability at the moment so all control via the sticks is fine and it's gonna be a MAME based build for pre 2K games. Will step up thereafter.

btw anyone got a link to a cutting list for a table top Arcade machine?

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Wee Cade is the nicest I've seen
    http://www.koenigs.dk/mame/eng/drawweecade.htm

Advertisement