Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back into comics, where to start?

Options
  • 19-03-2013 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭

Right so I got myself a tablet recently which is handy for reading comics on and just ploughed through The Walking Dead, up to date with that so looking to start into other acclaimed/influential series. So far have gotten stuff like The Killing Joke, Year One and The Dark Knight Returns, All Star Superman, Red Son, the Marvel Ultimates etc. anyone got any suggestions for worthwhile stories/arcs? I havent read comics properly since the Spider-Man days of the clone saga/Ben Reilly story aside from graphic novels like Watchmen and a few others. Looking for mostly Marvel but some DC as well. Where to start?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

krudler wrote: »
    Right so I got myself a tablet recently which is handy for reading comics on and just ploughed through The Walking Dead, up to date with that so looking to start into other acclaimed/influential series. So far have gotten stuff like The Killing Joke, Year One and The Dark Knight Returns, All Star Superman, Red Son, the Marvel Ultimates etc. anyone got any suggestions for worthwhile stories/arcs? I havent read comics properly since the Spider-Man days of the clone saga/Ben Reilly story aside from graphic novels like Watchmen and a few others. Looking for mostly Marvel but some DC as well. Where to start?!

There's some good IDW and Vertigo titles around too, like The Boys, Preacher, American Vampire,TMNT, Fables.

I recently finished reading Punk Rock Jesus, a 6 issue series from Vertigo. Can't recommend is enough.

A load of good Marvel arcs since clone wars: wolverine origin, old man Logan, The Sentry's stand alone story, Iron Man Extremis,

A lot to choose from out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I know :( looking for Iron Man, Spider-Man, maybe Daredevil arcs worth reading, got the Punisher Max series as well spent a while reading them today, Garth Ennis has issues :pac:

Is Sandman worth a read? I like Gaiman's work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Sandman is a great read.
    Marvel I'ld recommend
    -Mark Waid's Daredevil Series, it's a treat.
    -Spider-Man Noir
    -Thor God of Thunder (2012)
    -Punisher War Zone Mini series (2012)

DC
    - New 52 Flash

Dark Horse
    - Black Beetle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

I know :( looking for Iron Man, Spider-Man, maybe Daredevil arcs worth reading, got the Punisher Max series as well spent a while reading them today, Garth Ennis has issues :pac:

The Sandman is excellent, I fully recommend it. Lucifer is a spin off series from Sandman which is quite good. From Hell is one of the best graphic novels I've read and is a proper read.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Gaiman I find a bit hit or miss, but Sandman is magnificent. Though in saying that I'm of the opinion that the best way to read it is in the enormous recoloured Absolute volumes.

Iron Man storylines I'd suggest include Extremis and Hypervelocity - I find a lot of the older stuff pretty cheesy, but both those stories are properly decent science fiction in their own right as well as decent Iron Man Stories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Marvel wise I would throw the following out there.

Cable and Deadpool
    Peter David's most recent run on X-Factor
    Planet Hulk
    The current Hawkeye series is one of the best comics coming out every month.
    And, Avengers Initiative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Marvel wise I would throw the following out there.

Cable and Deadpool
    Peter David's most recent run on X-Factor
    Planet Hulk
    The current Hawkeye series is one of the best comics coming out every month.
    And, Avengers Initiative.

HOW DID I FORGET TO MENTION THIS?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭Ridley

looking for Iron Man, Spider-Man, maybe Daredevil arcs worth reading

Extremis and Matt Fraction's Invincible Iron Man. Extremis influenced the movie which has been drip-fed into Invincible.

Mark Millar's Marvel Knights Spider-Man run (#1-#12).

Brubaker's Daredevil is pretty neat (but his Captain America is better).

I second Avengers: The Initiative while adding Thunderbolts: Faith in Monsters and Bruce Jones's Hulk stories.

And moving away from Marvel and superheroes: 100 Bullets.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Thanks for the suggestions all, now my problem is having too much to read :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Venom under Rick Remender has been fantastic , Spiderman has been great too lately especially the last few issues of amazing and it continues into Superior Spiderman,

for DC Blackest Night is fantastic

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Saga and The Manhattan Projects are two of my favourites at the moment.

Advertisement