Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice

Options
  • 19-03-2013 2:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I was unsure where to post this, but its an accountants advice I need really.

Im currently 20 in second year of college but im getting frustrated with it. I enjoy accountancy, but is there a faster way than going through college for another year.

I dont want to float my own boat, but I am smarter than the other people in my class by a decent margin. Im getting frustrated and bored because I realise what the lecturer is talking about immediately and I just want to move on.

Sorry for all that ^^ just trying to give some perspective. Probaly sound very full of myself.

Is there anyone on this site that know anyway to get me into the business world faster so I can start earning money and that all important 'work experience' .

I would like to get my ACCA in the end of it.

Any ideas what so ever will greatly appreciated no matter how crazy.
    Never found a challenge I couldnt overcome so throw anything at me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

Finish your degree, regardless of holding the ACCA designation, not having a degree will close doors in the future.

Perhaps you can get some relevant PT hours even on a volunteer basis; you don't have to be working full time to start accruing experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

I was in the exact same boat as you, figured I was brighter than the rest of my class in college & decided I would be better off leaving, getting a job and just doing professional exams.

I did get a job, dunno how I managed it tbh! But I would not recommend this at all.

What I should have done was; I'm in this class and I'm smarter than everyone else (not saying this is true, but it was my mindset 3 yrs ago), so I'm gonna show them by how much smarter come exam time.

While I do pick things up easily, I tend to get bored quickly, and question how I can do everything faster....If I just put in a good bit of revision throughout the course and kept everything fresh in my mind, I'd be getting 90%+ in most of my exams, then walk into a much better job than I'm currently in after college.

Just my 2c!

*I am less obnoxious now!

Definitely finish your degree.

You could start professional exams alongside your college exams, though as you are already in second year there mightn't be much advantage. (not necessarily the accountancy ones you want to do now - it could be tax exams or IT certification or whatever you fancy)

You would have fewer exams to do once you are finished but you would still have to do the same experience. Depending on who you go on to work for it could be preferable or could mean you get other opportunities while the rest are studying.

You could also go looking for experience now - summer internship or one day per week bookkeeping for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭DUBACC

SBWife wrote: »
    Finish your degree, regardless of holding the ACCA designation, not having a degree will close doors in the future.

Perhaps you can get some relevant PT hours even on a volunteer basis; you don't have to be working full time to start accruing experience.

I would disagree on the degree issue. I dont have a degree but did the ACCA exams and qualified. It has never once held me back in my career and I now have my own practice. Once you get past the first 2/3 years or so in practice any degrees/masters achieved are generally irrelevant as the cream usually rises to the top regardless. In nearly 20 years in practice, this is my experience.

Having said that - if you have the majority of it done, then finish it as the inability to finish something you started does not really look too good tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

DUBACC - The world was very different 20 years ago when you were starting out, degree status is now routinely used for screening candidates including those who are mid-career. It would be a shame or the OP to place himself or herself at a disadvantage for the sake of another year or so of education, especially as given they are so smart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭DUBACC

SBWife wrote: »
    DUBACC - The world was very different 20 years ago when you were starting out, degree status is now routinely used for screening candidates including those who are mid-career. It would be a shame or the OP to place himself or herself at a disadvantage for the sake of another year or so of education, especially as given they are so smart.

I agree the world is very different but i am looking at this from the employer angle. We have a decent number of trainees starting with us each year and this is what happens. I have had a broad range of people from non-degree holders to M-Acc holders and generally the good ones who stay with us and flourish are not typically from any educational background but are the ones who adapt easiest and quickest to the demands of the job/night-college life.

Also, i did recommend he finishes the degree at this stage after putting so much into it thus far.

Advertisement