Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Strokes - Comedown Machine

Options
  • 18-03-2013 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭

I'll be honest, I was left a bit cold by Angles. It suffered from the same shortcomings as First Impressions of Earth in that there were a few classics in the mix but they were overwhelmed by the sludge of mediocrity surrounding them.

Anyway, the new record is streaming over on Pitchfork. I'm pleasantly surprised on my first playback of Comedown Machine. I'm only five songs in but so far they've pushed the boat further out from where Julian's solo album was docked, which is what I felt they should have done with Angles. '80s Comedown Machine' is probably the most adventurous and pretty Strokes song I've heard to date. It's really something.

I'll update when I've given it a few more spins.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

thanks man. will give it a listen

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭seriousfizz

I've listened to it about 5 times through and I am delighted with it. I've really developed a strong liking of this album over the past few hours. I think it's fantastic. Tap Out, Welcome To Japan and Slow Animals are the favourites so far, but it really is a strong album overall. Yipeeeeee!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

Saddens me a little that I really haven't been looking forward to this at all, think the Strokes were the first band I really fell in love with! First Impressions and Angles really were poor bar a few tracks and wasn't impressed with the two tracks that came out from this...

BUT

I'm streaming now and I'm a few tracks in, and I'm liking it!

Tap Out, Welcome To Japan

2nd listen this morning, I love these two tracks :)

...Even One Way Trigger is starting to grow on me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Having my 1st listen now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭elefant

Hated almost every song on Angles, but looking forward to listening later now. :)

Ahh Tap out is awesome... Great lyrics too

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

Am I the only one who liked (well, quite liked) Angles? Wasn't a fan of FIOE at all mind.

Gave this a listen the other night, impressed on first listen and think it will be a grower.

Am I the only one who liked (well, quite liked) Angles? .

I didn't like it at the start bar a few tracks, then it grew on me, then I didn't listen to it for a long while and when I did go back and have another listen I thought it was terrible again :pac:

Well I've given this quite a few listens and my favorite track is Welcome to Japan. What is everyone else's fav?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭seriousfizz

Am I the only one who liked (well, quite liked) Angles? Wasn't a fan of FIOE at all mind.

Gave this a listen the other night, impressed on first listen and think it will be a grower.

I'm quite fond of Angles. Definitely takes longer to get into, it's a slow grower.

Comedown Machine is just straight up all sorts of deadly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

****ing awsome

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I am liking this so far. Some of the stuff is very different to their back catalog, but not in a bad way.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Don't like it. Preferred Angles :o

Advertisement