Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Vampire Weekend

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Step is pretty good alright. Looking forward to seeing them at Longitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Step is pretty good alright. Looking forward to seeing them at Longitude.

They are the reason I bought my ticket. Big fan of first 2 albums, these 2 singles are nice (and also quite different to each other).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Absolutely loving step, really good song. I want to see them this summer but taking too much time off work for gigs as it is. Might just wait for the roster and hope I get lucky...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Great song. Looking forward to the album now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭mosstin

What I love about Vampire Weekend is the fact that they keep returning stronger. Many folk predicted they'd fizzle out after the debut but I thought 'Contra' was a far superior record. Good on 'em, really liking the new sound also.

• Advertisement

mosstin wrote: »
    What I love about Vampire Weekend is the fact that they keep returning stronger. Many folk predicted they'd fizzle out after the debut but I thought 'Contra' was a far superior record. Good on 'em, really liking the new sound also.

Oh ya, the amount of smug assholes who posted here years back saying they would "disappear in a year". :pac:

I realise they're not to everyone's taste, but they are one of the most inventive bands around right now imo. I'm really interested to see how their sound translates live; lots of complex orchestration is going to be lost I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭I_p_freely

Picked up the new record today and really like it! First time in years that I have looked forward to a record and was not disappointed.

2 downers about it though. I bought it on vinyl and there is a printing defect on side one so it skips on that song. Also, you get a CD with it but I don't have a CD drive on any of my laptops and can't put it in my phone now!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Just finished giving it a listen there. Very mellow album. Might have to give it a few more listens for it to really grow on me.

The third track "Step" is fantastic as is the previously released "Diane Young".

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Bloody (Vampires - get it :cool:) brilliant album.
    Was not overly impressed with Contra, but this is a humdinger.

Unbelievers - what a tune :)

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Yep, great album. Some really great production on it too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

was ambivalent about their previous two, but this album is glorious..doubt i`ll hear a better album this year

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,187 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Given there were plenty of albums I was looking forward to far more this year, I'm genuinely surprised at how fantastic this offering is and how disappointing others have been (Phoenix, most obviously). I liked the first album as a piece of disposable rock, was ambivalent towards Contra. But this is something altogether richer and more intriguing. It demands attention, because there's so many electrifying little flourishes in the songs both in terms of composition and production. It feels like a 'whole' too, rather than just a random series of neat individuals. Excellent stuff.

I can't believe more people aren't talking about this band/album. Well, I can believe it, but I expected more chatter. Admittedly I'm a big fan of the first album, and thought Contra was an excellent sophomore offering. Modern Vampires is something special.

They are a band it would be so easy to dislike on face value, and perhaps a lot of people do. Wealthy, Ivy-league educated, East Coast American's, complex or at times non-sequitur lyrics. But I think they're great, and have far more depth than most of the stuff out there these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,089 ✭✭✭mada999

dont like the new one at all, not as good as the first two :( all fillers on it imo

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

mada999 wrote: »
    dont like the new one at all, not as good as the first two :( all fillers on it imo
    You think the whole album is all fillers?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭fortywinks86

Wasn't over impressed with the album too when I first heard it but Step and Ya Hey definitely caught my attention. Think its a very solid album now, with maybe Worship You the only filler in the first 10 songs. Hannah hunt has become another favorite too. Definitely worth spending some time with it.

All fillers, as in you think the songs are just poor. Or is it a case that it's not to your taste?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

I've been listening to this record a lot recently and I have pretty mixed feelings about it, and VW in general. It's nice to listen to, quite easing and soothing, but on the whole just seems a bit too much like fluff. There's no edge at all, which is fine, but for some reason that I can't quite put my finger on it's lacking strength. Like so many recent albums, it's a pleasant distraction without any real depth. There's lots of positive things about it for sure, but then there's some really weird production decisions like the pitched vocal in Diane Young (which also occurs in other songs). And I mean 'weird' as in 'why would anyone in their right mind choose that effect?'. There's a bunch of stuff throughout the record that makes me question where exactly they're coming from, and I often think it might be Lamesville.

I thought the first record showed real promise and I've recently started listening to Contra again and there's a lot of good stuff on it. But overall VW just seem to me to be very thin and one dimensional, and lacking in any weight. And they regularly remind me of Paul Simon, which makes me think about how amazing he is. Which in turn makes me compare VW to him and the behemothic gulf in class between them makes VW seem crapper than they probably are. But I guess that's the danger of wearing an influence so apparently on your sleeve.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭smacg

Personally, really like it. A good solid album like their last two, and really catchy though might not bear too many listens for that. Probably be one of the best albums of the year imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 297 ✭✭Clemenza

Loved the debut, but never bothered with Contra.

Is the new album better than their sophomore effort?

• Advertisement
Advertisement