Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOD video interview from Newstalk last week

Options
  • 18-03-2013 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭

Discusses team mood, player psychology, retirement etc.

Candid and loquacious as always, hope to see him follow in Shane Horgan's footsteps as a panellist whenever he decides to hang up the boots.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,766 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Brian wrote: »

Candid and loquacious as always, hope to see him follow in Shane Horgan's footsteps as a panellist whenever he decides to hang up the boots.

Interesting that Sky have the rights to Ireland games from the season after next and it was reported last week that they will be going after the Pro 12. Id say they would love BOD to front their coverage.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

bilston wrote: »
    it was reported last week that they will be going after the Pro 12.

Really? Awesome! Where did you hear that?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Don't really care for the Pro 12 going to Sky at all. It's been great to have it FTA. Sky won't show nearly as many games.

At the moment a subscription to Sky with BT Sport as an extra will get you Premiership, Top 14, Pro 12 and H Cup rugby anyway. So things are already getting good.

It'd be great to see BOD on Sky. Would much rather him playing though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Brian wrote: »

Watched this and I don't want to start yet another BOD love-in, but you have to admire the guy on so many different levels. Honest, insightful, humble and refreshingly open about his own failings/shortcomings etc...We wont see his like again. Was listening to BBC radio this eve and Martyn Williams was asked about the Lions captaincy. He said it should be BOD, no question and called him the greatest NH rugby player ever to grace the game..High praise indeed.

ktulu123 wrote: »
    Really? Awesome! Where did you hear that?

It was in the Guardian about a week ago.

• Advertisement

Don't really care for the Pro 12 going to Sky at all. It's been great to have it FTA. Sky won't show nearly as many games.

Maybe, maybe not, when they bought the rights to the HEC I was concerned they wouldn't show more than 2 or 3 games a weekend and instead they show almost every game now.

It's nice having the games on FTA but money talks and we need to try and catch up with the French somehow, or at least close the gap a smidgen.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Maybe, maybe not, when they bought the rights to the HEC I was concerned they wouldn't show more than 2 or 3 games a weekend and instead they show almost every game now.

It's nice having the games on FTA but money talks and we need to try and catch up with the French somehow, or at least close the gap a smidgen.

I'd be in two minds on it. Part of me agrees with IBF, another part of me thinks the injection of cash into the league and, for want of a better word, prestige might actually do it some good. That said having multiple broadcasters does help to ensure that you get to watch your side in action, where-as a single broadcaster would mean probably seeing less games live.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭petebricquette

I dunno, I mean RTÉ haven't been the greatest in terms of coverage. I hadn't seen a Leinster Rabo game in yonks before the Glasgow match. Their greater resources and (seriously) their slick production will probably endear more people to the tournament.

I think it'll be a big improvement on what we currently have. One thing that'll help a bit will be the lack of Frankie as a commentator anyway. Plus the fact they'll be on Sky will get people down to the pub to watch some of the matches at least.

Sky have a real knack for building games up too; the Premiership is rarely excellent but you'd swear that it's HEC standard rugby week in week out the way it's marketed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Jesus connacht would never be shown on tv if went to sky!

Altho Iwould like if sky did a kind of highlight show of the Pro 12- I know scum V do it but that is bloody painful to watch

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

molloyjh wrote: »
    I'd be in two minds on it. Part of me agrees with IBF, another part of me thinks the injection of cash into the league and, for want of a better word, prestige might actually do it some good. That said having multiple broadcasters does help to ensure that you get to watch your side in action, where-as a single broadcaster would mean probably seeing less games live.

Personally I hope that Sky are interested and that interest causes RTE/BBC/TG4 ect to put in a bigger bid

• Advertisement

Personally I hope that Sky are interested and that interest causes RTE/BBC/TG4 ect to put in a bigger bid

Hadn't thought of that. Yeah that'd do....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Ulster, Munster and Leinster probably have more live games on television than any other teams in Europe. All but three of Leinster's games this season have been available live on some channel and therefore online too. Expect that to multiply if the FTA package goes. Check how many AP games are live each weekend.

The money would be a big bonus though so it will be good for the game. I think the new YouTube channel is a precursor to the sale of the television rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I'm still waiting for the day I can subscribe to all my rugby direct online. That'll be the day!

I'm still waiting for the day I can subscribe to all my rugby direct online. That'll be the day!

And have them all streamed to your iglasses.... :cool:

google_glass.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Thud

i'm still stuck on "loquacious"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

What I wouldn't give for an NFL gamepass-esque service. I more than happily pay for that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

If Pro 12 goes to Sky it will mean less exposure not more as there will be less viewers and at present the vast bulk of matches are shown FTA if you include the Italian broadcasters so can't see Sky having more games live than present deal. Loss of Pro 12 to Sky rugby would mean virtually all live rugby on these islands (bar 6 nations) is subscription only. That cannot be a good thing.

Advertisement