Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you bring pets into supermarkets etc.?

Options
  • 18-03-2013 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

I don't recall seeing a "no pets allowed" sign anywhere.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

No, not normally. As far as I know only guidedogs can come into a Supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

As far as I know of only guide dogs, only this and nothing more

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Guide dogs would normally be the only exception. If no sign, I'd imagine it would easily fall into the management have a right to refuse you entry to the premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭euser1984

What about other locations where there would be a lot of people and distractions? I brought her to the parade yesterday, I know football matches and the like...the big ones aren't on frequently though I don't think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

You can bring them into pubs if that helps, I'd presume restaurants fall under that too.....unless there's a sign of course.
    But I worked in loads of pubs over the years back in the day and they were always allowed in.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't think that a place serving food would allow an animal in.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There is nothing preventing you from bringing your dog into a public place unless access is specifically being controlled. So parades, football matches etc, should be no issue provided you have your dog under control.

Wouldn't be inclined to bring a dog to any busy event anyway though, people would just keep standing on her.

In relation to shops, etc, as mentioned above it depends on shop policy. Typically in Ireland shops do not like people bringing dogs in. Irish attitudes to dogs still have a lot of residual farming influence and dogs aren't really seen as pets in many regards.

Rural pubs though paradoxically often have no issue with letting dogs in. There's a great painting in a pub in Lucan of man sitting having a pint with his faithful JRT sitting beside him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Horses are always welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Why do you want to bring the dog to the supermarket...?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

tk123 wrote: »
    Why do you want to bring the dog to the supermarket...?

Presumably you might want to nip in and get a loaf of bread while out walking them - safer than leaving them tied up outside

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

When I used to work in the local shop a few years back, a norwegian elkhound would come in every saturday without fail, sneak down to the fridges behind all the shelves so we wouldn't see him, swipe a black pudding and run for it. We were in stitches watching back on the cctv. We moved the puddings up higher, he would just stand up and grab one. He obviously loved his black pudding! So while dogs weren't technically allowed in the shop, we couldn't help but let this little fella away with it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Personally if I came across a shop or supermarket that allowed anything other than guide or helper dogs access, I'd be shopping elsewhere, purely from a hygiene perspective.

mathepac wrote: »
    Personally if I came across a shop or supermarket that allowed anything other than guide or helper dogs access, I'd be shopping elsewhere, purely from a hygiene perspective.

I must say I agree. Likewise I will not eat in a friend of mine house because they allow their animals in the kitchen and their cat to walk across the kitchen counters/island units.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭juniord

Weathering wrote: »
    Horses are always welcome
    in tescos presumably :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

euser1984 wrote: »
    I don't recall seeing a "no pets allowed" sign anywhere...
    If you don't see a "No Defecation Here" sign, do you believe you should be allowed to relieve yourself in that spot? Common sense and basic hygiene awareness should prevent people taking bizarre actions as if they were normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

mathepac wrote: »

And how do you feel about other humans in your supermarket? They pose just as much of a threat, hygenically speaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Miaireland wrote: »
    I must say I agree. Likewise I will not eat in a friend of mine house because they allow their animals in the kitchen and their cat to walk across the kitchen counters/island units.

I allow my dogs into my kitchen. I clean up after them every day, sometimes twice a day. They're part of my family so I'm certainly not going to keep them outside, especially if it was just for the benefit of one or two overly hygiene phobic friends.

You're more likely to pick up germs and bacteria from the cash in your wallet then contract anything from pets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

i saw a little boy take a dump just inside the door of a shop one day. while his mother held his hand. and then they both walked away.

while i wouldnt take my dogs into a supermarket etc, they have free reign of the house as they are part of the family. dont like it? visit someone else. i dont complain about your kids in your kitchen - and they're far more annoying.

I have never said I complained to my friend. Indeed they do not know my feelings about animals in the kitchen. I just said that I choose not to eat there because of the animals in the kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

**Vai** wrote: »
    And how do you feel about other humans in your supermarket? They pose just as much of a threat, hygenically speaking.

Reading that, I couldn't help but think of that scene in Adam and Paul where one of them is feeling the bread in the shop!

Seriously though, we are very behind here when it comes to where pets can be brought. I have tried to find a specific piece of health and safety legislation that says pets cannot be allowed into restaurants, shops etc. All I can find with regard to Irish law states that dogs should not be kept on a food premises, and that any that are brought to a food premises should be on a lead.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1950/en/si/0205.html#zzsi205y1950a25
    (22) dogs shall not be kept on the food premises save with the consent of the local chief medical officer and in accordance with any conditions he may impose and reasonable precautions shall be taken to exclude dogs which are not leashed from the food premises;

In terms of EU law, the only prohibition is on food preparation areas.

http://www.petsallowed.co.uk/dogs-health-and-safety-law-pubs-and-hotels.php

Of course, premises can make their own rules as they wish as to who they admit (animal or otherwise), but the health and safety line appears to be a bit of a cop out. I'm sure that there is nothing in law to prevent someone from opening a dog friendly establishment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Presumably you might want to nip in and get a loaf of bread while out walking them - safer than leaving them tied up outside

I thought it was maybe for socialization or something... Deffo agree about leaving them outside - I'd never take the risk! I've seen dogs in Woodies in Glasnevin btw ...although they were in the trolley lol :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭fleabag

I was in the Tesco in Tipp town a couple of months ago and saw a cat sat outside, not taking a blind bit of notice of everyone passing. I went over to him and he purred and greeted me and then I walked in to get a few bits. I bought him a pouch of cat food too because I thought he might be a stray but when I came out, his owners were there with him. They all walked away across the carpark. Apparently he follows them to the supermarket every time and waits outside for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 roisindubh86

mosi wrote: »
    Reading that, I couldn't help but think of that scene in Adam and Paul where one of them is feeling the bread in the shop!

Seriously though, we are very behind here when it comes to where pets can be brought. I have tried to find a specific piece of health and safety legislation that says pets cannot be allowed into restaurants, shops etc. All I can find with regard to Irish law states that dogs should not be kept on a food premises, and that any that are brought to a food premises should be on a lead.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1950/en/si/0205.html#zzsi205y1950a25
    (22) dogs shall not be kept on the food premises save with the consent of the local chief medical officer and in accordance with any conditions he may impose and reasonable precautions shall be taken to exclude dogs which are not leashed from the food premises;

In terms of EU law, the only prohibition is on food preparation areas.

http://www.petsallowed.co.uk/dogs-health-and-safety-law-pubs-and-hotels.php

Of course, premises can make their own rules as they wish as to who they admit (animal or otherwise), but the health and safety line appears to be a bit of a cop out. I'm sure that there is nothing in law to prevent someone from opening a dog friendly establishment.

I have been very curious about this as it has been quoted to me no end of times since moving to Ireland. For Health and safety we can't allow them in the food area. In the UK there are many pubs who thrive on their pet friendly policy and I miss being able to go out for a bite to eat with the dog in tow!
    Of course, premises can make their own rules as they wish as to who they admit and any dog friendly places would definitely get my money!

Advertisement