Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yeah I'm pretty much done.

Options
  • 17-03-2013 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

22 year old male, have been debating whether to just give up drink for good. Hungover today and to be honest I'm sick of this sh1t. The anxiety, the depression, the feeling that I'd be better off dead. Not to mention the crippling drain on money.

This can't be what life is actually like for most people. Live for the weekend, so you can spend your weekdays recovering from the sheer abuse you're putting your body through with this crap. I hate to sound preachy, but it just boggles the mind how people do this on a consistent basis.

I'm not looking forward to the reactions I'll get from my friends, honestly I expect I may lose a couple in the process, but I'm tired of trying to be someone I'm not. Its just exhausting.

Quite ironic that I decided to quit on Paddy's day, but I'm determined to stand my ground and not let societal expectations define who I am.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Instead of giving up completely why not drink less and less when you go out? Wind yourself down to not drinking completely instead of going cold turkey. Ive found that staying out of rounds really helps with this.

And if someone is not gonna be your mate because your taking it easy with the booze, is that the sort of person you want to be friends with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭madchild

You,re drinking muck eg. guinness and other stuff that has alot to do with the hang over i drink boru vodka alot of the time and i have basically no hang over but if i drink stout i,ll be dying for 2 days but if you,re sreious about gettin off the drink go for it although i,d imagine you,re only posting this coz u are feeling so bad today.. If the depression is bad maybe knocking it on the head is a good idea..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭con1421

You should sign up to www.hellosundaymorning.com

You can then set goals and talk to other people who have given up drinking for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Gi joe! wrote: »
    I'm not looking forward to the reactions I'll get from my friends, honestly I expect I may lose a couple in the process, but I'm tired of trying to be someone I'm not.

You know something?
    True friends will support whatever decision you make-you will realise this when you are older.

I'd agree with DrumSteve- see if you can reduce amounts for starters.

I was like you aged 22-gave up for a year and had a fantastic year.
    When I started again,I learned how to reduce volumes,how to say no,and how to walk away.
    That worked for me then-and still does,over 2 decades later.

Best of luck regardless.

Advertisement