Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snoop Lion

Options
  • 17-03-2013 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭

I think there's a few reggae fans floating around here including myself.

I know snoop dogg's recent stuff isnt the most popular here and rightfully so but when i first heard what snoop was doing i taught it was hilarious and his first few reggae joints were terrible but after hearing his 2 recent singles "lighters up" and "here comes the king" im actually looking forward to hearing what the album will turn out like.

i think he has a movie out about his reggae transformation too:D but is anyone else liking these two snoop tracks from the new album?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Real Life

I too am a fan of reggae but this is not what i would call reggae. Its horrendous. It was a sad day when snoop turned to "reggae"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

It's actually not as bad as I had imagined. Here Comes The King is actually catchy enough. The whole idea is plain ridiculous, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

I know a guy who is big into reggae and classes it as a pop form of it. It'll be interesting to see what some real Rasta's think about it and the Bob Marley reincarnated nonsense he's banging on about. Remembering him saying something about it's not in their culture to use microwaves and things like that, then Snoop goes and does his Pocket Like It's Hot jingle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭TheBza

Snoops having a mid life crisis, that snoop lion gimmick is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

id agree with pretty much everyone but at the end of the day the above are both good songs thats all i asked :p.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Real Life

I think here comes the king is one of the worst songs ive heard this year. id put it in the same league as the stuff nicki minaj or pitbull are putting out. I found it very hard to look at/ listen to

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Yeah I've been listening to it for a week or so, really like it. Although I don't hate Drake so keep that in mind.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Yeah I've been listening to it for a week or so, really like it. Although I don't hate Drake so keep that in mind.

i dont hate drake by any means myself either, the man has got some nice music to his name in fairness.

not liking this one at all, it was released last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

The whole concept seems straight up corny. I'm surprised at Diplo/Major Lazer for being involved.

I couldn't keep listening after hearing him do the fake Jamaican accent. It's embarrassing.

• Advertisement

floggg wrote: »
    The whole concept seems straight up corny. I'm surprised at Diplo/Major Lazer for being involved.

I couldn't keep listening after hearing him do the fake Jamaican accent. It's embarrassing.

I know what your saying alright but honestly would you call lighters up and no guns allowed bad songs ?

I know what your saying alright but honestly would you call lighters up and no guns allowed bad songs ?

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I've been listening to that No Guns Allowed for a while now and never realised who Snoop Lion was, thought he was some new artist haha

TheBza wrote: »
    yes

I honestly think both are good songs.

What ever you're into man, thats all that matters in the end, just find it cringey and gimmicky myself, i love my dub, so find this horrendous and insulting to the culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

The Guardian have an interview with him up on their website. It's a long read. Goes from his early days up until now, I think.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2013/apr/06/snoop-dogg-lion-interview?CMP=twt_gu
    He offers me his spliff. Though to call it a spliff is an insult really – it's a professionally rolled cigar of pure ganja. An object of beauty, I say.

"You think so?" he says sweetly.

Have you got your own spliff factory?

"I got a couple of homies that do it. We ain't got no factory. But we move like a machine." He speaks slowly, sensually.

I haven't smoked dope for 20-odd years, but to refuse Snoop seems churlish. "You gotta have one hit," he says. I tell him I might make an exception. I inhale. "Welcome to California," he says. It tastes gorgeous – mellow, sweet, lovely. So I have another go. Woosh! Within seconds my head's spinning, I'm spluttering and talking in a falsetto. He grins.
    Is it true that he smokes with his older son, Corde, 18? "Yeah, he deserve it." Isn't he a good sportsman? "No. He's a good smoker. His brother's a good sportsman. He took on my smoke side, his brother took on my sport side." He turns back to the TV. "Hey, that's Sheila Frazier. Super Fly's girl. Sheila Frazier! Show that bathtub scene!"

As he talks, I notice the semi-clad girls at the back of the room. "Snoop," I say, "the ladies here don't have many clothes on."

He bursts out laughing. "The ladies here don't have many clothes on!" he shouts to his homies in a fey English accent. "That's what the interviewer said! I'm loving it! They're my weather girls. They work for my news network." Snoop's network, GGN, records its shows from here.
    Snoop's minder Killer tells us time is up. But Snoop isn't quite done. "I wanna shoot a shout-out to my homeboys in London: the princes, Harry and William. You know I raised them on this music of mine. They were groomed on me. How you think the Queen like that?" I think she'd hate it, I say. "Goddamn right," Snoops says, "but I'm a part of their revolt. They were at that age when my music spoke to them."

Classic Snoop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

The last good track that Snoop made was Pimp Slapped everything after that was garbage. Snoop Lion??????? The weed he is smoking has really mushed his brain.

terrible album.

He was also talking sh1t about Bunny Wailer, Snoop is an absolute joke, hes a muppet, what very very very little respect i had for that dope is well and truly gone. Ive a better shot at becoming the pope than that twat becoming a rasta.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

He's nothing but a cardboard cut out dope these days, crossing over into too many genres, pop, dance, now reggae, it doesn't work for him, stick to rapping snoop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭DeltaWhite

Meh... Snoop lost it a long time ago...
    He used to be a bad ass but I cringe now at some of his songs.. "I wanna make you sweat"
    Fcuking joke! Bring back old school Snoop :(

• Registered Users Posts: 22 southcentral lk

Snoop will never have an album like Doggystyle again he lost that flow a long time ago! Even with Dre on his post Death Row tracks never sounded the same!

That being said I'm listening to reincarnated now and have say it's ok, some iffy tracks but mostly ok. This music suits his flow!

And I wouldn't call this a Rasta joint it's dancehall/pop! There was no need for him to try be a Rasta to put out this album. He should try stick to this type of music because all of his other cross overs GARBAGE!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 mattklis

You can check out the Reincarnated album at http://www.playthishiphop.com/snoop-lion-reincarnated-album

Advertisement