Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It was 6 years ago today

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

One of the best trips of my life! Main memories:
    • Being let off a speeding fine on the way to Kingston from Ochos Rios
    • Watching the Pakistani wickets fall in the first innings
    • Realising we could win, and then realising we should win
    • The obnoxious behaviour of the Pakistani players as we moved towards their total
    • Andre Botha getting one of the worst LBW decisions I've ever seen (even from the top of the stand)
    • Niall O'Brien having a brain-fart and getting out
    • Kevin O'Brien playing an amazing innings
    • Trent hitting that shot over the top to win it
    • The team arriving to the Sunset Grand
    • Throwing the players into the pool
    • Throwing the ICC officials into the pool, prada suit & all
    • Standing on a chair with DLS singing a song (must have been a strong chair, come to think of it!)
    • One of the worst hangovers of my life the next day

Amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I had no access to Sky that day so I watched most of the second innings on teletext! Probably the only thing that could have made it more tense was having to wait a minute or two at a time for updates! Simply amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,508 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

I watched in Ballybunion in Kerry, was down there for the weeknd and managed to convince the barman to put it on the TV. By the end of the game the whole pub was glued to the box.

TrueDub - You need to do a more detailed trip report than that my good man! Sounds brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭giddyup

Similar experience for me in a bar in Rosslare. Whole place was watching by the end of the game. That result was the reason I ended up in Barbados about 3 weeks later on a last minute trip. And now here I am watching an empty stadium in Sharjah at almost midnight where I'm at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Watched it in a pub in Roscommon town, was only 17 at the time, so was overjoyed to have been in the pub in the first place. Decided to toast the occasion with my first pint of guinness too.... Funny enough, I remember quite a few people being genuinely interested in my explanation of Ireland's chances in the game. We even got a little cheer going after the winning runs were scored. I can remember 'we've just beat the Brazil of Cricket like'

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

KevIRL wrote: »
    TrueDub - You need to do a more detailed trip report than that my good man! Sounds brilliant

Straight from the horse's mouth!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=52922450

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I was in Australia nursing a hangover and started watching it, not a huge cricket fan but use to watch a bit so knew the basic rules and understood how big a deal it was, woke my flatmates up to watch it explained that I thought we might win and suddenly everyone was an expert all of us saying what we would have done if we were playing. Great day altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheDrog

Amazing day, we were given tickets to the presidents box for the match. The stress levels got higher and higher as the match went on. We were staying with people in Kingston and had booked to go to Ochos Rios the next day but when Ireland won we changed our minds, hopped in the car and drove across the island arriving just in time for the players to appear onstage. I remember the players going in the pool and the complaints all round when the bar closed. The sight of Boyd Rankin in a leprechaun hat may stay with me forever:D

TheDrog wrote: »
    AI remember the players going in the pool and the complaints all round when the bar closed.

I was temporarily the most popular man in the building when I arrived down frrom my room with a bottle of rum I'd bought a couple of days previously. Funnily enough, it didn't last very long! :D

Advertisement