Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hosting Problems

Options
  • 17-03-2013 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I have an internet forum, in the last few months I have nothing but database errors and problems with the host.

We updated to the latest vBullten however we still have issues every 4-5 weeks.

My question is, can you recommend a host and how difficult is it to transfer my forum to another host. Can you suggest a service for doing this wok.

Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Hosting talk isn't permitted here for sensible historical reasons. There's one post in the Design forum Charter which can help you: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53028341&postcount=2

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

I didn't know, apologies.

What about the transferring of data from one server to another, can I get some advice on that. Is that something I should really pay professional to do etc?

Thanks for the links..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Best case scenario, it's a matter of copying the vBulletin files from one host to another, restoring a backup of the database and editing some config files to tell vBulletin where to look for the new database.

The process for transferring your domain varies a little bit and your best bet it referring to new and old host documentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,410 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Some hosts (the more expensive ones, usually) will actually transfer your files for you - it's a good question to ask them before signing up, and a chance to test their responsiveness to queries.

Trojan wrote: »
    Some hosts (the more expensive ones, usually) will actually transfer your files for you - it's a good question to ask them before signing up, and a chance to test their responsiveness to queries.

I've sent a few emails around hoping to hear back early next week.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭OneIdea

T-K-O wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I have an internet forum, in the last few months I have nothing but database errors and problems with the host.

We updated to the latest vBullten however we still have issues every 4-5 weeks.

My question is, can you recommend a host and how difficult is it to transfer my forum to another host. Can you suggest a service for doing this wok.

Thank you

On the off chance are the issues related, like are they the same kind of errors? are you sure they are not cron related as some of them run only once a month. Just asking as you mentioned every 4-5weeks

OneIdea wrote: »

On the off chance are the issues related, like are they the same kind of errors? are you sure they are not cron related as some of them run only once a month. Just asking as you mentioned every 4-5weeks

I believe so, can you advise on how I can confirm this is a 'cron' issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭OneIdea

T-K-O wrote: »
    I believe so, can you advise on how I can confirm this is a 'cron' issue

I wouldn't know specifically, you can check your future cron job tasks in Scheduled Task Manager to see if you have a match with rough dates etc.., (ignore times as server times may differ.

... I'm not sure about this, but I think when in Scheduled Task Manager, you can actually run a task directly, so that might show your error if its related to the (cron)tasks.

This is probable a best answered question on the vb support forums, its a number of years since I had a license, thus I don't have a copy of VB to relate too...

Thanks again for the information, plenty there to research.

Hello again,

There are no CRON jobs running. Another question if I may

Would I be correct in saying that these errors are a hosting issue?

MySQL Error : MySQL server has gone away
    Error Number : 2006
    Request Date : Saturday, March 23rd 2013 @ 11:40:15 AM
    Error Date : Saturday, March 23rd 2013 @ 11:40:16 AM

///////////////////////////////////////////////
    ////////////////////////////////////////////////////

mysql_connect() [<a href='function.mysql-connect'>function.mysql-connect</a>]: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)
    /home/boxingho/public_html/forums/includes/class_core.php on line 317

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Topic's barred in the forum charter for a reason folks...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement