Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radiator blowing water

Options
  • 17-03-2013 5:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a 1999 mitsubishi mini digger, which is loosing ratiator water when I drive it.

there's no hole in the rad, but the water is being pressurised out the small "excess water" pipe that comes from the top of the rad.

Any idea what's causin this?

Thanks,

Jo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Could be as simple as needing a new radiator cap if you're lucky.

Try running it without the cap on and see if you have any bubbles coming through, would be a sign of blown head gasket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭jocotty

Thanks for that Sean.

The water is coming out the small pipe just below the radiator cap.

Nothing coming out the cap itself

The cap seems good, althoug I don't think it's the right cap from the rad.

How much would it cost to do the head gasket I wonder?
    101sean wrote: »
    Could be as simple as needing a new radiator cap if you're lucky.

Try running it without the cap on and see if you have any bubbles coming through, would be a sign of blown head gasket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Change the cap, the system should pressurize when hot, if you have the wrong cap or it's seals are gone the hot water will bypass the cap and run down the overflow hose.

Try that and report back. I can't really comment on the cost of a head gasket change, probably not that much if you can get at the engine easily.

101sean wrote: »
    Change the cap, the system should pressurize when hot, if you have the wrong cap or it's seals are gone the hot water will bypass the cap and run down the overflow hose.

Try that and report back. I can't really comment on the cost of a head gasket change, probably not that much if you can get at the engine easily.

Thanks Sean- ill try get a proper cap, and get back to you.

Sound

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭twofish101

You might find that the rad cap off a small Jap car is the same as yours, making it easy to try one before you buy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Thelostcountry

This all happen just recently or did you only buy the machine??

This all happen just recently or did you only buy the machine??

I bought the machine with a hole on the top of the rad, and when I fixed it, this was the way it was:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭aman23

should the small pipe go to an expansion tank?

I think some smart fooker sold you a lemon (hope i am wrong)

Dont waste your time or money buying another radcap, Just start it from cold with cap off! and watch for air bubbles in rad.

I think some smart fooker sold you a lemon (hope i am wrong)

Dont waste your time or money buying another radcap, Just start it from cold with cap off! and watch for air bubbles in rad.

yap - - - theres bubles?!

how much we looking at to fix the head gasket?

• Advertisement

jocotty wrote: »

I am not familiar with mini diggers so i could not give a price on that. all depends on how easy it is to work on! get a few quoates tho as some lads over price jobs!

you will need to get the head pressure tested and skimmed when removed

hopefully you will just get away with replacing gasket and not the head also!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭Figerty

jocotty wrote: »

It could be the water pump or thermostat. The impeller on the water pump could be worn down. Same thing happens cars and they overheat.

Advertisement