Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd Degree Fees - Can Anyone Help??

Options
  • 16-03-2013 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am interested in applying for both Dentistry in TCD and UCC for 2014. However I already have an undergraduate Electrical and Electronic Engineering degree from Queens University in Belfast back in 2010.

According the TCD website the full fees cost is 9,424 euros a year. So an accumulation over 5 years means I'll be paying 47,120 euros in total. Obviously a lot!

http://www.tcd.ie/Treasurers_Office/fees/UG_EU_Fees_2012-13.pdf

I assume I have to be paying this :(, but want to know if there is any way I can get avoid paying these full fees, I have a couple of stipulations which may or may not help:

1)I studied my first degree in a different state/country, not in the ROI.
    2)I currently suffer from a major form of depression and I'm registered with disibility services at my college here.

Is there anyway I can chip away at those fees at all? I'm looking for any means possible! :D

Anyone help?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭donegal11

None, once you have a degree you won't get another, although scotland did allow that as long as you didn't get your first degree there? you sound as if your still in college? I currently suffer from a major form of depression and I'm registered with disability services at my college here. I'm not sure how depression would entitle you to any reduction in fees or why it would?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

donegal11 wrote: »
    I currently suffer from a major form of depression and I'm registered with disability services at my college here. I'm not sure how depression would entitle you to any reduction in fees or why it would?

I'm redoing my a levels at Belfast Metropolitan College currently.

I was hoping suffering from disability would entitle you to some form of a grant (i.e. helping me pay), but I come from a high affluent family so I fear it might look like I'm scrounging or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Tails142

Look up the north/sourth scholarship scheme, covers students living in one jurisdiction going to college in the other, you might be able to avail.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,931 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

None, once you have a degree you won't get another

I don't know the answer but are you sure about this? Have you got a specific link?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭__oc__

Hey

My first undergraduate was gained in coleraine uni in 07 and I had no problem getting the free fees in waterford it for my current degree. I asked numerous times would I have to pay tuition fees and was told no the only reason I can see is that I didnt gain my first undergraduate in ireland and therefore never availed of free fees before.

Best bet is to speak to your college fees office and find out directly from them. I found online resources very confusing and very hard to find a concrete answer

Hope this helps

• Advertisement

I don't know the answer but are you sure about this? Have you got a specific link?

Tuition fees will not be paid in respect of:
    students pursuing a second undergraduate course.
    students who already hold a postgraduate qualification.

from student finance, If you did a degree in a private college such as DBS etc the state won't pay for another degree. Where the state would pay if you started a degree and didn't complete it and were you didn't receive state aid they would pay.
    __oc__ wrote: »
    Hey

My first undergraduate was gained in coleraine uni in 07 and I had no problem getting the free fees in waterford it for my current degree. I asked numerous times would I have to pay tuition fees and was told no the only reason I can see is that I didnt gain my first undergraduate in ireland and therefore never availed of free fees before.

Best bet is to speak to your college fees office and find out directly from them. I found online resources very confusing and very hard to find a concrete answer

Hope this helps

They must have made a mistake , are you getting a grant?

from student finance, If you did a degree in a private college such as DBS etc the state won't pay for another degree. Where the state would pay if you started a degree and didn't complete it and were you didn't receive state aid they would pay.

Yea but I was asking in relation to the specific case of an undergrad degree outside the Republic. I know what you are saying but it may not be accurate.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭__oc__

I asked in 5 separate emails to the college because I thought I was supposed to pay them. I also got the grant even tho I told susi that I had already gained a degree in the north.

Got this from the UCD website.

"A student who has attended a third level course within the EU/EEA, Swiss Confederation in the past five years, and has not completed the course, will be liable for all fees for the equivalent period that s/he was in attendance."

Which means that if you didn't complete a course within 5 years you won't get free fees. So it hardly the case that if you did complete a course the free fees would apply.

A Degree is a Degree no matter where it is achieved. They regulations clearly state that if you have a degree you won't be entitled to another, some people interpret that as Ireland are wrong. Try to do a degree in the north and claim the grant from Donegal co council for a second degree and see the reply. It's just that some smaller colleges(which determine whether your free fees) don't know how to apply the rules. Larger colleges such as ucd won't make the same mistakes as they come across situtions such as this more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Nappy

Hi OP,

Did the you get free fee's for your degree in Belfast??

• Advertisement

This from NUIG Site which I hope clear things up.

Thanks donegal11

I always think it is better to have accurate and verified sources of information.

Terry Pratchet

Tails142 wrote: »
    Look up the north/sourth scholarship scheme, covers students living in one jurisdiction going to college in the other, you might be able to avail.

For postgrads only

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Nappy wrote: »
    Hi OP,

Did the you get free fee's for your degree in Belfast??

No, I paid the full £3000 per year. Which of course has now been increased to £9000 a year by the tories.

Thanks for the help anyway guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Nappy

<snip advocating fraud>

Don't post that sort of 'advice' here again, thanks

Advertisement