Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St. Patrick's Day.

Options
  • 16-03-2013 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭

So tomorrow is the day we celebrate the coming of Christianity to Ireland! Symbolically at least. One does have to wonder why you atheists should be celebrating such a day? But then again, you also try to steal Christmas and Easter. In any case, I'm not here to pick a fight (folks aren't drunk enough yet for that), I'm here to wish you all a safe and happy St Patrick's weekend. Just please don't make a mockery of our beloved saint.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Don't care about the day itself, quite happy to have Monday off though!

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Jernal wrote: »
    So tomorrow is the day we celebrate the coming of Christianity to Ireland! Symbolically at least. One does have to wonder why you atheists should be celebrating such a day? But then again, you also try to steal Christmas and Easter. In any case, I'm not here to pick a fight (folks aren't drunk enough yet for that), I'm here to wish you all a safe and happy St Patrick's weekend. Just please don't make a mockery of our beloved saint.

Why shouldn't I celebrate? Life is good!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,952 ✭✭✭Patser

Jernal - how many Christians happily dress up for 'pagan' Halloween? I mean it's just a bit of fun based on an old religious belief, just like St Patrick's Day and Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Patser wrote: »
    Jernal - how many Christians happily dress up for 'pagan' Halloween? I mean it's just a bit of fun based on an old religious belief, just like St Patrick's Day and Christmas.

Halloween is also the feast of all Saints.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

You know that's probably based on a pagan holiday, right? (Samhain)

• Advertisement

Really? Dressing up in costumes is a way to celebrate all saints? I guess all that stuff about pagan, Celtic Samhain US guff! You know, the stuff that predates Jesus and his followers' celebrations.

Was it in the bible 'And lo Jesus did put on his Batman costume and Mary Magdelene her Slutty Witch costume ' - mind you, would explain the century's of abuse Mary Magdelene received.

As for St Patrick's deathbed wish of 'Remember me by wearing leprechaun hats and getting wasted!'

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

March 17th is "Ireland Day". Consider we bitch about the place for 364 days of the year, we need at least one to think we're deadly. :)

Also Jernal - can I ask how, according to your OP Atheists try to 'steal Christmas and Easter'?

If it's that we point out that Christianity stole Pagan celebrations at solstice and equinox times, it's not a case that we're condoning and celebrating Pagan beliefs - more a case that we're saying Christian and Pagan beliefs are equally outdated and anachronistic.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I could be wrong here, but I think the wording in the OP was tongue in cheek, Patser.

Jernal isn't a Christian.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Also Jernal - can I ask how, according to your OP Atheists try to 'steal Christmas and Easter'?

If it's that we point out that Christianity stole Pagan celebrations at solstice and equinox times, it's not a case that we're condoning and celebrating Pagan beliefs - more a case that we're saying Christian and Pagan beliefs are equally outdated and anachronistic.

You're obviously new around here :p, every Christmas and Easter we start a satirical thread berating how atheists are either trying to steal Christmas or how those filthy godless heathens shouldn't be celebrating it! I just decided to add St Paddy's (Patty's?) Day to the mix, because correct me if I'm wrong your Lordship Dades this is the first St Patrick's Day well wishing thread on A&A? :)
    It's our National day but somehow we missed it. :o Time for a new tradition me thinks. :)
    Dades wrote: »
    I could be wrong .

inconceivable.jpg
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

vernal equinox?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Get some sleep Jernal. You've started on the whiskey a day too early!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I'm a Palladius man myself. Paddy went and stole his credit, that wanker.

Ahh right, sorry lads. I'm more of a lurker round here and was bored and tipsy on a bus home last night, when responding to Jernal! The satire went right over my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Really?
    Was it in the bible 'And lo Jesus did put on his Batman costume and Mary Magdelene her Slutty Witch costume '

Not that I would like to see!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

He got rid of all the snakes. How can you atheists explain that?

Richard Dawkins has done nothing to match that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Sarky wrote: »
    I'm a Palladius man myself. Paddy went and stole his credit, that wanker.

Plus according to Prosper of Aquitaine Palladius was sent to administer to the Christians living in Ireland (note: not Irish Christians) and Palladius got here before Patrick ...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Can I've a green milkshake

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

c_man wrote: »

Obligatory "Fianna Fail are still here" joke.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

c_man wrote: »

Richard Dawkins has done nothing to match that.

Not sure if Poe...:confused:

Never were any snakes in Ireland* - the Ice Age made sure of that.

*Apart from now

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/16/world/europe/boom-over-st-patricks-isle-is-slithering-again.html?hp&_r=1&

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Bannasidhe wrote: »

Not sure if Poe...:confused:

*Apart from now

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/16/world/europe/boom-over-st-patricks-isle-is-slithering-again.html?hp&_r=1&

Obviously back due to creeping secularism in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

bluewolf wrote: »
    Can I've a green milkshake

I had a dream that I went and got a Paddy's day milkshake at McDonalds. I woke up and they exist. Definitely going to get one later when this hangover is gone.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,431 ✭✭✭TheChizler

[Quote=[-0-];83705806]

I had a dream that I went and got a Paddy's day milkshake at McDonalds. I woke up and they exist. Definitely going to get one later when this hangover is gone.:pac:[/Quote]
    Surely it would help? Cold sugareyness? It's the only thing that got me out if bed this aft... today...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    The druids were often referred to as serpents, or associated with snakes, this going back to their being the "medicine men" of ancient Celtic Europe. So these were probably the "snakes" he banished.

Anyway, St Patrick was successfully repelled himself, from my locality, where the locals evidently thought his god was a bit lame compared to mighty Thor :pac:
    Wykinglo was the usual name used by the Viking sailors and the traders who travelled around the Anglo-Scandinavian world. The Normans and Anglo-Normans who conquered Ireland preferred the non-Gaelic placename. The origin of the Irish name Cill Mhantáin bears no relation to the name Wicklow. It has an interesting folklore of its own. Saint Patrick and some followers are said to have tried to land on Travailahawk beach, to the south of the harbour. Hostile locals attacked them, causing one of Patrick's party to lose his front teeth. Manntach (toothless one), as he became known, was undeterred and returned to the town, eventually founding a church.[15] Hence Cill Mhantáin, meaning "church of the toothless one".
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wicklow

• Registered Users Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Petition urges parade to hold fire on proposed bylaw changes http://irishecho.com/2015/10/petition-urges-parade-to-hold-fire-on-proposed-bylaw-changes/
    The petitioners want to preserve the bylaws, the scrapping of which they say would eliminate the committee charged with running the parade and elected by the affiliated organizations, and replacing it with an “executive committee” selected exclusively by the board of directors headed by parade committee vice chairman, Dr. John Lahey.

Dr. Lahey is also chairman of the Parade Corporation, the parade’s legal arm.

“Further changes proposed by Dr. Lahey, and opposed by the members of the affiliated organizations, include removal of the acknowledgement that the parade is in honor of St. Patrick, the Patron Saint of the Archdiocese of New York and the Patron Saint of Ireland.and the requirements that members of the Parade Board must be of Irish Descent and Roman Catholic,” said a statement by the petition organizers.
    .. and the they also be members of the Ancient Order of Hibernians or Ladies Ancient Order of Hibernians.

find that hard to believe, it comes from,
    https://www.change.org/p/dr-john-lahey-chairman-st-patrick-s-day-parade-inc-keep-the-spirit-of-st-patrick-and-democracy-in-the-nyc-st-patrick-s-day-parade

the agenda and sections for removal are linked here http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs119/1102405988834/archive/1122668855866.html

http://www.churchmilitant.com/news/article/nyc-parade-committee-seeks-to-oust-saint-patrick seems to be true though

shouldn't those wishing to cleberate St Patrick be Roman Catholic. or atleast Catholic or Christian? http://www.independent.ie/opinion/letters/what-religion-was-saint-patrick-26832837.html

• Registered Users Posts: 34,121 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

shouldn't those wishing to cleberate St Patrick be Roman Catholic. or atleast catholic or Christian? http://www.independent.ie/opinion/letters/what-religion-was-saint-patrick-26832837.html

No. It is not a religious event, it has become a celebration of Irishness and the contribution of those of Irish descent to America.

That said...

...why we celebrate the (supposed) instigator of 1500+ years of religious oppression beats the hell outta me. A Strongbow day would be twice as good, half the oppression and already a readymade drink sponsor :cool:

And the weather is usually crap in March - can we get a day off in July instead? Not fair we get our day in poxy March and themmuns get theirs in July. Most oppressed people ever :pac:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

No. It is not a religious event, it has become a celebration of Irishness and the contribution of those of Irish descent to America.

I kinda think it is, I wouldn't want St Patricks day to be so much, the celebrate Irishness day, forever,Amen.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,121 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

^ ??

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
Advertisement