Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Invalidity pension.

Options
  • 16-03-2013 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine has suffered from chronic depression for many years but has a very good work record and about 15 years of stamps without a break. She then had a bad depressive episode and was on illness benefit for two years, she then applied for invalidity pension, was refused, appealed with the appeals office and won her case she was granted an invalidity pension (for a year) she thinks. Now she is concerned as the year is up and she does not know what will happen. How does it work with invalidity pension ? How will she know when it will end ? How will she be put off the pension ? She has called the invalidity pension office and the only information they have is that she is "in payment" !!!!! I think the uncertainty is playing on her mind and would like to help by getting any info I can. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Invalidity Pension is a weekly payment to people who cannot work because of a long-term illness or disability and are covered by social insurance (PRSI).

As your friend is only on IP for a year I wouldn't do anything and payment should run on year to year unless the dsp decides to do a review of your friends case which is unlikely at this stage as their only just 1 yrs on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Big Davey

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Invalidity Pension is a weekly payment to people who cannot work because of a long-term illness or disability and are covered by social insurance (PRSI).

As your friend is only on IP for a year I wouldn't do anything and payment should run on year to year unless the dsp decides to do a review of your friends case which is unlikely at this stage as their only just 1 yrs on it.
    Ok so it is considered on a yearly basis ? And it will take a medical to take her off it ? Being only a year she should just hang tight and it may last 2-3 years or more ? She was under the impression that she was getting a year and that was it so this is good news for her for once.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Big Davey wrote: »
    Ok so it is considered on a yearly basis ? And it will take a medical to take her off it ? Being only a year she should just hang tight and it may last 2-3 years or more ? She was under the impression that she was getting a year and that was it so this is good news for her for once.

IP once granted could continue up until age 66 (Old age) where it would then transfer to a State Pension.

Provided no rules are broken and any medical reviews if any that are carried out are passed.

Its not a year on year thing.

IP once granted could continue up until age 66 (Old age) where it would then transfer to a State Pension.

Provided no rules are broken and any medical reviews if any that are carried out are passed.

Its not a year on year thing.
    Thanks I will pass that on. Very appreciated.

She told me today she asked (invalidity pension section) what date her payment ended ! As all calls are recorded does anyone think this will make her a soft touch to strike her off in the future ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement