Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washing Machine Presentation for a Job Interview!!

Options
  • 15-03-2013 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi All,

Im looking for a little bit of advise.

I have been invited to a graduate assesment center with a company that manufactures Automation products aswell as Motors and Drives.
    Im an Electrical Engineering student (Power Bias).

They have asked me to prepare a 10 minute presentation on the following:

Describe a domestic 'front loading' washing machine, and explain how it works, aiming to cover these points:-

o How does a washing machine work?

o What are the fundamental sub-systems?

o Choose one of these and explain this is more detail

At the end of your presentation, we will ask you a number of questions to expand upon the information delivered in your presentation. This whole session will last 30 minutes, including your 10 minute presentation time. You will be presenting to two [Company's Name] representatives.

Now bear in mind that im a final year engineering student and my final year project is due to be submitted two days after this assessment center and the company is aware of this.

Does it seem like a lot to ask of somebody?? Why not a presentation on my final year project which I would be only too happy to give!!

Anyway... putting that aside....
    Any advise on what level of technical detail they would actually require??
    Id hate to spend time studying up on the little technical detains of the whole machine and end up giving the presentation to somebody non technical!

Also I hope I dont come across as being lazy or ungrateful.
    The job seems really really great and I am thankful to get the opertunity but it just seems like a waste of a final year students time at a very busy and important time of the year.

Thanks in advance
    GradEngineer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Two days before my FYP was due I was busy drinking pints because it was long since gone in, so I don't know if showing up with that excuse would wash. The company might very well be testing how you handle the workload as no doubt you'll have to balance plenty of projects when you're working.

I wouldn't drop your FYP for one interview but remember why you're doing the degree in the first place, to get a good job. It's up to you to set your own priorities though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

Basics are good, always focus on the basics. Don't try to explain to them how different cycle settings work and how they are programmed in, you are not a washing machine design engineer (yet). They will not expect you to know in detail how a washing machine operates. If this is what they expect from a final year student, then you definitely do not want to work there.

Stick to "there is a basic electric motor, reversible operation, with varying speeds. Water pump, water heater etc" Pick the motor for more detail, it's the heart of the machine.

Genuinely there is nothing worse than someone coming into an interview telling you the most detailed things ever and then when you ask them what colour core the live is they look back at you as if you have ten heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Include some block diagrams of the hardware and some flow charts for the software.

Do up some of the plc ladder logic, interlocked door etc :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Donelson

the rotordynamics of washing machines are sadly fascinating! I do need to get out more, don't I!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Also I hope I dont come across as being lazy or ungrateful.
    The job seems really really great and I am thankful to get the opertunity but it just seems like a waste of a final year students time at a very busy and important time of the year.

Not lazy or ungrateful, but a bit naive TBH. The employer's one and only concern is getting someone to do the job; your own circumstances aren't a factor.

On the task itself, it's a test of both your general technical knowledge (assuming you've never designed a washing machine!) and your presentation skills (i.e., can you explain a system to colleagues). As mentioned above, keep it basic and then focus on one particular subsystem. You can ask the audience if they want more or less information on the general machine - it show's you're conscious of what info they're interested in. Good luck!

Advertisement