Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting Rathmines to Blackrock

Options
  • 15-03-2013 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi everyone, I joined to ask this, and i'd be really grateful if ANYONE could help me! I'm a first year nursing student, and I've no idea how to get to my new placement. I'll be travelling from Rathmines every day. Rathmines Park to be exact. And the place i'm headed to is
    Newtownpark Avenue,
    Blackrock,
    I was told the place is a 10 minute walk from Blackrock dart station and the buses . 45, 114 , 7, or 8 can get me there, but I have no idea how to peice the journey together! Any help.. Please??? :D Would be soooo grateful!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

Hi everyone, I joined to ask this, and i'd be really grateful if ANYONE could help me! I'm a first year nursing student, and I've no idea how to get to my new placement. I'll be travelling from Rathmines every day. Rathmines Park to be exact. And the place i'm headed to is
    Newtownpark Avenue,
    Blackrock,
    I was told the place is a 10 minute walk from Blackrock dart station and the buses . 45, 114 , 7, or 8 can get me there, but I have no idea how to peice the journey together! Any help.. Please??? :D Would be soooo grateful!

Take the no 4 or 7 from. Blackrock to the RDS in Ballsbridge and then take the no 18 from the RDS to Rathmines.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 SarahMoran12

Hey thanks for the reply but i'm heading TO blackrock FROM Rathmines...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

I haven't lived in Dublin for 10 years but anyway...

Walk down to Hynes' pub in Rathmines (opposite the cop shop - now called Grace's I think). Catch the 18 bus from that stop to Sandymount Avenue. Get off there and walk down to the Sandymount DART station (100 yards away). DART to Blackrock.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

Sorry about that. You could catch the no 18 in Rathmines from opposite the police station and get off in Ballsbidge opp RDS and catch the 4/7 to Blackrock.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,362 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

And how do you propose to get home in the evening?

Newtownpark Ave. is a very long road so which option you take will depend on whether you're closer to the Leopardstown (top) or Blackrock (bottom) end of the road.

If you're going to be closer to the top (Leopardstown end) of the road then it would be a better idea to get off the 18 bus at the first stop in Waterloo Road, then walk back around the corner to Leeson St., catch an outbound 46A or 145 and get off at the top of Newtownpark Ave. (Whites Cross). If you're destination is closer to the bottom (Blackrock end) of Newtownpark Ave. then you'd need to stay on the 18 bus until Ballsbridge, get off at one of the stops on the Merrion Road and wait there for an outbound No. 4 or 7 bus which will take you to Blackrock.

You could also get the Dart from Sandymount to Seapoint and walk from there if you're closer to the bottom of Newtowpark Ave. but switching buses would be quicker and cheaper, a Travel90 ticket will get you there for €2.50 as the two bus journeys would count as one trip.

That information is slightly out of date and you'd need to be a very fast walker to do it in 10 minutes! The 45 service is no more. The 114 only runs about every 40/45 minutes even in the morning and is no good for where you're coming from anyway. The 8 is a very infrequent service. As another poster has said, the 4 and 7 are the buses for you, you'd pick one up on the Merrion Road opposite the RDS where you'd have alighted from the 18 bus.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

The national journey planner gives a few options, including the mix of Luas and bus. Enter the exact addresses here and it will give you a list of options... http://www.journeyplanner.transportforireland.ie/

None of the public transport options are much under 50mins. Cycling at a fairly low pace should only take ~40mins. So, it's highly likely that even slow cycling would be a reliably faster option than public transport.

Cycling is by far the most reliable way -- no waiting for buses, trains or trams, no walking time, no messing with buying tickets, and less likely to be affected by congestion. One of the joys of cycling is that once you get use to cycling your commute you'll know exactly how long it takes to get to work and you don't need to add in buffer time in case of delays.

If you're not used to cycling, you'll even likely get a bit faster after the first month or two without any extra effort.... Which equals even more sleep-in time!

Cycling is also, by far, the cheapest option.

Advertisement