Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite photography accessory for under €100

Options
  • 15-03-2013 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭

I think there may have been a similar thread on here before (or maybe I seen it elsewhere), but anyway it made for good reading and some nice cheap accessory recommendations.

I have a few but lately its probably the cheap set of gels I got for my flashes, a whopping €14.99 in Berminghams. Ive only used them on a few shoots so far and only for a subtle effect but Im really liking them so far.

Anybody have any other random recommendations that are easy on the wallet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Yongnuo flash unit (560II or 467/8 for TTL) with wireless triggers - http://stores.ebay.com/hkyongnuophotoequipment/

Canon 50mm f1.8 I think can be picked up under €100 (I'm a Nikon user) - http://www.pixel-peeper.com/lenses/?lens=16

Macro extension tubes -
    6803042914_1d06ef0069_c.jpg

Soft box/umbrella and stand? Ebay Chinese jobs cheap enough to experiment with.

There's loads of stuff you can pick up. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

Actually those Yongnuo flashes are fantastic. I have 4x 560 II's and will probably pick up a 568 at some stage for its ETTL function. I dont think I paid any more then 65 for any of the 560's so they should definately be on the list.

I have a couple myself, the two I mentioned above. Really don't use them (or my camera...) enough. Would like to get into car photography, and I'm very slowly moving towards that.

I was using a pair of 580 exII's and wanted to pick up a third. When I started researching into alternatives and came across the Yongnuos I thought there had to be a catch so just order one to check it out. Im getting the exact same use and quality I got from the 580's plus additional functionality of having an optical slave built in. I ended up selling the 580's, ordered 3 more Yongnuos and was still left with a nice chunk of change.

In general I try not to go for the budget option when it comes to photography equipment as you usually get what you pay for and then end up upgrading later so it works out more expensive in the long run. Those Yongnuos are very much an exception to that rule.

I have a pack of gels too, but TBH haven't used them. Do you have any examples of how you have used them? Curious to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

i'd go with exactly what kenny logins said :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,625 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I must have purchased most and made some, things to soften and bounce flash , and still find it hard to get flash right - got some okish shots in london with a recent 20 euro plastic softener - makes camera very bulky though - flash in my experience seams a little hit and miss - direct flash doesnt work for me at all -so still experimenting , still learning

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Probably my YN-468II (of which I have 2)

But my Hahnel Combi TF Remote Control & Flash Trigger would come a close second. It works perfectly to trigger my YN flashes and also lets me work my camera shutter remotely.

I also picked up a light stand & brolly for under €100.

Individually each of the above is a good deal.

In combination all three make a great home setup for people & portrait photography.

I have a pack of gels too, but TBH haven't used them. Do you have any examples of how you have used them? Curious to see.

Ive only really used them for subtle effect but Im really liking them so far. Like below, I just had a bare flash behind the model at 1/64th power and the rim light behind her, in particular under her hair, just had a really nice blue tint.

29f5iyo.jpg

I know they can be used for way more extreme uses but I've only had them a few weeks and havent shot anything too extreme with them....yet :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

...Battery grips on my Nikon bodies.

They came with free batteries too, which despite being cheap Chinese clones, are still trucking away after ~5 years use!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I got a manfrotto super clamp, it may not be that useful for photography, probably is more useful in video but still a very versatile clamp. I've used it with my go pro and video camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Nforce wrote: »
    ...Battery grips on my Nikon bodies.

They came with free batteries too, which despite being cheap Chinese clones, are still trucking away after ~5 years use!!! :)

Same here, Its the single best addition to Our D90 and the Nikon and Spurious Batteries that came with it have sat side by side for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Ben D Bus wrote: »

But my Hahnel Combi TF Remote Control & Flash Trigger would come a close second. It works perfectly to trigger my YN flashes and also lets me work my camera shutter remotely.

In combination all three make a great home setup for people & portrait photography.

That remote control and flash trigger looks like a great set for the money.

That remote control and flash trigger looks like a great set for the money.

It is. And it's an Irish company too. Given the economic crisis & St Patricks Day and all! :)

And I've just found out I can buy a studio light cable for them for a tenner. Makes them even better value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Probably a Rocket Blower I would think or a Black Rapid double harness strap (although that might have been over the €100 mark)

Actually that reminds me I promised myself Id pick up a black rapid soon. I hear they're much more comfortable then the normal neck strap.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,118 ✭✭✭dinneenp

My Black Rapid shoulder strap or else Slingshot shoulder bag.

BR is great for when out walking with family & only using 1 lens. Slingshot bag is great way to be able to bring multiple lenses with me and have quick access.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

My Optech sling strap - basically a Black Rapid at less than half the price - very comfortable! My other favourites are my Yongnuo YN0560-II and Lenspens!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

How much is the Hahnel set?
    I picked up a 560ii and thinking of grabing a couple more...

• Advertisement

How much is the Hahnel set?

€65 in Halls (€70 in Conns)

http://www.hallcameras.ie/catalog/?function=detail&id=2358 This is Panasonic fit, not sure if Canon/Nikon price is identical.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Love my GPS tracker. Great for city and hikings shots, with the geotagging feature in lightroom you can go back and view where you took your photos especially if they were taken a while ago!

I use one of these, drag the gps log off the tracker, then I use geosetter to input the gps coordinates into the files exif data, then add to lightroom.

you can recharge it by USB in about an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

an €8 (iirc) holga lens :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Basically anything with YONGNUO written on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭The_Gatsby

Does any body know where I can find a flash for my Sony for under €100? I checked the link by Kenny Logins but I couldn't find any Sony fits. Not much to choose from on adverts either :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

€65 in Halls (€70 in Conns)

http://www.hallcameras.ie/catalog/?function=detail&id=2358 This is Panasonic fit, not sure if Canon/Nikon price is identical.

Im on olympus! and the oly one is about 90. know of any decent chinese ones? i better look and see if yongnuo do them...

Im on olympus! and the oly one is about 90. know of any decent chinese ones? i better look and see if yongnuo do them...

I've heard Yongnuo RF-602s get positive things said about them. But I've never used them. Around €30 plus postage on ebay. RF-603s seem to be a newer version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

The_Gatsby wrote: »
    Does any body know where I can find a flash for my Sony for under €100? I checked the link by Kenny Logins but I couldn't find any Sony fits. Not much to choose from on adverts either :(
    PM sent

• Advertisement

Canon Nifty Fifty (refurbs) on ebay for £50 odd - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290915626092

Advertisement