Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to construct new lane

Options
  • 15-03-2013 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi all,
    I am planning to put in a new lane to my place. It will be 300 metres long, soil is heavy marl, I will be following a field boundary. Any advice? I have read about using tyres as a foundation- cutting out the sidewalls and then tying them together with fixings, then filling with stone. Or is it beast just to put in a good under road felt? Should I get an engineer on board?
    Any advice welcome.
    Thanks Chris
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Dont be daft

Hi all,
    I am planning to put in a new lane to my place. It will be 300 metres long, soil is heavy marl, I will be following a field boundary. Any advice? I have read about using tyres as a foundation- cutting out the sidewalls and then tying them together with fixings, then filling with stone. Or is it beast just to put in a good under road felt? Should I get an engineer on board?
    Any advice welcome.
    Thanks Chris

Every place is different but one thing I saw making a HUGE difference here was having a roller on site as your laying the surface.

Put in 3 separate roadways here, two were rolled one wasn't. You wouldn't believe the difference between them.

The roller was something like 12 or 15tonne so pretty costly to hire out, but in my opinion worth it.

We didn't use felt or any of those other materials. I'm not knocking them but we've gone on fine without them.
    Dug out to a depth of about 6" and filled with stones picked of fields over the years, then reclaimed road surface and dusted of with 804.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 temujinhayes

didn't think a roller would make such a difference, do you use it after last layer of stone has been put down or between each layer?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

didn't think a roller would make such a difference, do you use it after last layer of stone has been put down or between each layer?
    The big ones with the pumped whees can fairly pack stuff best to pack in layers .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

we had a guy with a hy mac last year, no need for a roller, he packed it between layers

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ABlur

whelan1 wrote: »
    we had a guy with a hy mac last year, no need for a roller, he packed it between layers

Same here 14 tonne track machine levelled the gravel, have had
    several trucks of concrete drive over it since and it hasnt moved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

ABlur wrote: »

Same here 14 tonne track machine levelled the gravel, have had
    several trucks of concrete drive over it since and it hasnt moved.
    It depends on the type of stone used and the depth i usually just track the stone in.
    But the roller will leave it like concrete.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ryandevitt

Use 4 inch broken stone first then 2 inch working down to whats called 804 stone use a whacker plate between layers

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭6480

the key to doing a good job on the lane is to do it when the weather is good and any real bad soft spots you need to dig down to hard subsoil or channel

Advertisement