Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accountancy Charge out rates

Options
  • 15-03-2013 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Why do the large accounting firms (PWC, KPMG, GT, BDO etc) not publicise their charge out rates so customers and potential customers can make informed decisions? Whenever I have used a big four firm I have always agreed rates per hour based on the seniority of the people concerned (e.g. €500 p/h for a partner, €250 for an associate etc) and whilst it's always been quite easy to get rates directly from the people I am meeting with it's always a bit of a drama to get the rates from competitors in order to benchmark the rates I've been quoted.

Does anyone else experience this? Do any of the firms publish their rate card?

Ben

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

^^ 116 views and no comments or contributions. I wonder why..........:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

BenThere wrote: »
    ^^ 116 views and no comments or contributions. I wonder why..........:rolleyes:

Because none of the 116 people had anything helpful to say?! (Like me, I haven't a scooby doo Ben, sorry!)

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭censuspro

Big four firms are not in the type of market where they are competing with low cost competitors. Generally speaking if you are using a big four firm you are not an owner managed SME. In a lot of cases the types of business that use a large firm will issue an RFT and each of the big four will submit their tender.

censuspro wrote: »
    Big four firms are not in the type of market where they are competing with low cost competitors. Generally speaking if you are using a big four firm you are not an owner managed SME. In a lot of cases the types of business that use a large firm will issue an RFT and each of the big four will submit their tender.

Thanks Cencuspro, thats a good point but all of the firms do have standard rates which they (typically) discount when responding to an RFP so it's their standard rates which I think should be published. Why the big secret??

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭JD Dublin

Hi all,

Why do the large accounting firms (PWC, KPMG, GT, BDO etc) not publicise their charge out rates so customers and potential customers can make informed decisions? Whenever I have used a big four firm I have always agreed rates per hour based on the seniority of the people concerned (e.g. €500 p/h for a partner, €250 for an associate etc) and whilst it's always been quite easy to get rates directly from the people I am meeting with it's always a bit of a drama to get the rates from competitors in order to benchmark the rates I've been quoted.

Does anyone else experience this? Do any of the firms publish their rate card?

Ben
    If you have to ask you cant afford one of the Big 4. Why dont you just get a quote for the job you have to get done - tax planning, audit, business plan whatever?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Morte

I can't imagine any business is in a rush to publish their costs for pricing. It's obviously not in their interests to do so. Accountancy firms are hardly unique in this regard.

It may also lead to disagreements with clients. I presume (not that I'm a partner in a big firm) that the discounts or loadings to the standard rate would be based on stuff like "the audit will be risky as the client is an idiot with no clue how to do accounts" and "we think the business model doesn't work and will fold soon." I don't think a prospective client would appreciate being told that.

It's not true to say that the big firms don't have small clients. Some of the regional offices in particular would have a decent chunk of small clients.

Morte wrote: »
    I can't imagine any business is in a rush to publish their costs for pricing. It's obviously not in their interests to do so.

I'm not sure you understand my question or perhaps I'm misunderstanding your response. Are you saying you can't imagine why any business would publish what it charges for it's services? Have you ever eaten in a restaurant without knowing looking at the menu to understand what you'd be charged for the various dishes? You'll probably say my restaurant analogy is comparing apples with oranges so how about an Orthodontist which is an expert professional service? Publishing their prices doesn't seem to have done these guys any harm http://eastcoastorthodontics.ie/price-list and there are lot's of other examples of published pricing from mechanics to quantity surveyors to conveyancing services.

The the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India has (refreshingly) published recommended minimum pricing for specific work undertaken by it's members which can be viewed here http://www.icai.org.in/bomrsoffmanmc.pdf

Perhaps if our leading firms took a leaf from their Indian friends they'd avoid being slated for operating cartel pricing ;) See http://www.finfacts.ie/irishfinancenews/article_1020057.shtml

As it happens I agree with you that it's not in the interests of leading firms to publish their pricing as that might bring the sort of transparency to the market for professional services which cartel operators really don't welcome.

The problem for you and me Morte is that it's our tax Euros which are paying the cartel prices charged to the Govt. Maybe we the focus should be on what's good for the customer rather than what's good for the partners who cream off the super profits :rolleyes:

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 14,417 ✭✭✭✭cson

The point he's making is that Apple don't publish the component prices that make up the iPhone. You just get a ticket price for the whole phone and that's that.

Similarly in a restaurant; the price of a main course isn't subdivided down into its various components.

Fundamentally you have to ask yourself, is it worth going for the low cost operator in something like this? The likes of personal/business finance advice, healthcare and childcare are some of the things I'd be reluctant to be cheaping out on personally.

cson wrote: »
    The point he's making is that Apple don't publish the component prices that make up the iPhone. You just get a ticket price for the whole phone and that's that.

I'm not looking for their component costs ie what they pay their staff per hour, I'm looking for exactly what you state ie the selling/ticket price of their product which in the case of big accounting firms is their time :-!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,417 ✭✭✭✭cson

I'm not looking for their component costs ie what they pay their staff per hour, I'm looking for exactly what you state ie the selling/ticket price of their product which in the case of big accounting firms is their time :-!

They'll all give you a quote (i.e. ticket price) if you ask.

• Advertisement

cson wrote: »
    They'll all give you a quote (i.e. ticket price) if you ask.

The whole point of starting this thread is to question why the big firms don't publish their rate cards. I work with large accounting and legal firms all the time and never have any problem getting them to quote rates etc but why don't they publish their "ticket" prices? What other industries (other than big professional services in Ireland) don't publish the RRP of their product? Why the big secret? Are they embarrassed by their charge out rates? Should they be?

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Morte

Restaurants and dentists (not sure about orthodentists exactly) are required to publish their price lists. It's not that they all want to. Mandatory minimum pricing like the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India would generally be considered cartel behaviour as it would stop prices falling below this floor. It would have been very bad to have this in Ireland as we'd still be stuck with bubble prices probably.

There's obviously an element of haggling in all this. Firms will try to charge as much as they can and clients will try and pay as little as they can.

Let's ignore that though and focus on the theoretical side of things. Accountancy prices aren't set in stone like buying a can of coke from a shop. There is the "guideline" price that the firms use for a rough idea and then they will tailor it for each job. They will charge more at busy times of the year. They will charge more for risky jobs which might leave them open to bad pr or being sued. They will charge less for big jobs. They will charge less if the work is recurring or may lead to more work in the future. And so forth.

Publishing their "normal" prices doesn't tell people a whole lot as the prices will vary massively anyway. I don't believe it would help competition a whole lot. It certainly wouldn't help my tax money. The state takes out goodness knows how many contracts a year throughout all the state bodies. They know full well what a normal rate is.

Really we're back to the usual solution of making sure people shop around in order to drive prices down. For bigger jobs these should be put out to tender and the tender process needs to be done well.

I'm not sure why you've had trouble getting prices in the past. I've never been involved in hiring the Big 4. I'd guess that if you just rang them they'd be reluctant to give a guess over the phone as they don't know your business properly to give a correct quote. If they thought you genuinely might choose them for the work and weren't just ringing around then they'd talk it through with you and work out a quote. If they think you're just trying to benchmark and won't actually go to them then they won't bother wasting their time calculating a price. As you know their time is worth a lot ;).

Morte wrote: »
    I'm not sure why you've had trouble getting prices in the past.

I've never had a problem getting prices when I ask, the whole point of starting this thread is to question why they make you ask in the first place. Why don't they publish their pricing even if it is only their RRP/Rack rate?

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭JD Dublin

I've never had a problem getting prices when I ask, the whole point of starting this thread is to question why they make you ask in the first place. Why don't they publish their pricing even if it is only their RRP/Rack rate?

Ben
    Most professional services firms as far as I can see are the same - lawyers, PR people, engineers - the pricing model for most of them seems to be ''whatever we can get away with'', or ''whatever the client can bear''. You can't put that on a price list.

No other professionals give standard rates so why on earth would accountants?

So does that answer the questions?

JD Dublin wrote: »
    No other professionals give standard rates so why on earth would accountants?

I already gave examples of professional service firms publishing their RRP/Rate Card so 'NO', you're post doesn't answer the question.

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 4 rioferdy5

You clearly aren't going to accept any answer until you get the one you want, but I'll just point it out again. I work for a big firm, you come to us, ask us for a piece of work, I.e. ct compliance, we will quote you a fee, if you want, we will break it down further, 600 for calcs, 200 for submission etc.

Do you want the work done for that fee, or do you want us to justify how muchh everyone is paid by the hour, down to the guy in the mailroom?

While we're at it, do you want a breakdown of how much it costs to have us suscribed to accountancy magazine, each accounting software, the rent apportioned to my small area of the floor I work on, how much it costs the firm to maintain my laptop, and how much of my hourly rate is a result of the training courses I'm constantly enrolled in? What about an hourly quantification of how much money/time is saved by the software doing the work for me, which is included in your bill?

Or maybe you just want the final fee quote, and not information which is irrelevant and of no use to you

rioferdy5 wrote: »
    You clearly aren't going to accept any answer until you get the one you want, but I'll just point it out again. I work for a big firm, you come to us, ask us for a piece of work, I.e. ct compliance, we will quote you a fee, if you want, we will break it down further, 600 for calcs, 200 for submission etc.

Do you want the work done for that fee, or do you want us to justify how muchh everyone is paid by the hour, down to the guy in the mailroom?

While we're at it, do you want a breakdown of how much it costs to have us suscribed to accountancy magazine, each accounting software, the rent apportioned to my small area of the floor I work on, how much it costs the firm to maintain my laptop, and how much of my hourly rate is a result of the training courses I'm constantly enrolled in? What about an hourly quantification of how much money/time is saved by the software doing the work for me, which is included in your bill?

Or maybe you just want the final fee quote, and not information which is irrelevant and of no use to you

Nah, all I want is for the big firms to publish their standard charge out rates (which they all have and will give you if you ask) without me having to ask. When I have a specific piece of work/project to be undertaken I'll still ask for a fixed fee quote or if that's not possible an indicative quote based on X hours of associate @ €? per hour and Y hours of a partners time at €? per hour.

Are you saying that the reason the big firms don't publish their charge out rates is because their clients couldn't work out what a project would cost if they submitted the estimated number of hours required by each grade of person to fulfil the project??

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭T L

Nah, all I want is for the big firms to publish their standard charge out rates (which they all have and will give you if you ask) without me having to ask. When I have a specific piece of work/project to be undertaken I'll still ask for a fixed fee quote or if that's not possible an indicative quote based on X hours of associate @ €? per hour and Y hours of a partners time at €? per hour.

Are you saying that the reason the big firms don't publish their charge out rates is because their clients couldn't work out what a project would cost if they submitted the estimated number of hours required by each grade of person to fulfil the project??

Ben

As someone said earlier, there's often a premium or discount based on risk, complexity of the job, and other qualitative factors which essentially mean that simply looking at rates really isn't indicative of the final fee. Even comparing rates across firms isn't indicative since firms weight the qualitative factors differently, meaning that Firm A's rate of 100 / hour and Firm B's 101 / hour doesn't mean that Firm A will give the cheaper quote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

^^^ this

Ben, can you let us know if this answers your question?

For what it's worth smaller companies are unlikely to get value for money from the big 4 - imho.

T L wrote: »
    As someone said earlier, there's often a premium or discount based on risk, complexity of the job, and other qualitative factors which essentially mean that simply looking at rates really isn't indicative of the final fee. Even comparing rates across firms isn't indicative since firms weight the qualitative factors differently, meaning that Firm A's rate of 100 / hour and Firm B's 101 / hour doesn't mean that Firm A will give the cheaper quote.

Sorry but that's just a pile of BS. Complexity = more hours = automatic adjustment to the price of the job and risk factors are dealt with in the terms of the engagement letter/agreement (limiting liability etc) but if the job is unattractive to the firm due to too much perceived risk or for some other reason (e.g. being asked to audit a Ltd company which has a reputation as being a front for criminal activity or is involved in an industry sector the firm has a policy of avoiding e.g. strip clubs) then it can simply decline the opportunity.

I know RRP/rate cards outlining the charge out rates for junior associates to the highest level partners exist for all the big firms (I have/had several of them) but they don't publish them, they make you ask for them. No one seems to be able to explain why they make you ask for something they already have and regularly issue to potential clients instead of just publishing it the way other professional service providers do.

Ben

• Advertisement

Sorry but that's just a pile of BS. Complexity = more hours = automatic adjustment to the price of the job and risk factors are dealt with in the terms of the engagement letter/agreement (limiting liability etc) but if the job is unattractive to the firm due to too much perceived risk or for some other reason (e.g. being asked to audit a Ltd company which has a reputation as being a front for criminal activity or is involved in an industry sector the firm has a policy of avoiding e.g. strip clubs) then it can simply decline the opportunity.

I know RRP/rate cards outlining the charge out rates for junior associates to the highest level partners exist for all the big firms (I have/had several of them) but they don't publish them, they make you ask for them. No one seems to be able to explain why they make you ask for something they already have and regularly issue to potential clients instead of just publishing it the way other professional service providers do.

Ben

Sorry, but it's not a pile of BS ;)

The fact that you think risk is fully mitigated by the engagement letter shows that you don't have a full grasp of the ins and outs of the process. The engagement merely sets out the terms of the engagement, it doesn't necessarily protect the firm from being the subject of legal action, in the unlikely event that they issue an incorrect audit opinion that causes loss to someone for example.

Complexity is also a bit more intricate than you're suggesting. What might be dealt with by one firm using two senior associates taking a week might be dealt with by another firm using an assistant manager for 8 days. That's going to give you a big difference. What I'm trying to explain here is that each firm will have different strategies and staff availability for dealing with your job. For even a simple job, Firm A might assign two associates for a week, and Firm B might assign one senior associate for 9 days.

With all due respect, you don't know how the individual firms are going to staff the job. Looking at two rate cards is so close to irrelevant that it would almost be misleading for firms to just throw a rate card out there for potential clients, as it's not fair to anyone involved.

The fact that you think risk is fully mitigated by the engagement letter shows that you don't have a full grasp of the ins and outs of the process.

C'mon TL, you sound cleverer than to selectively quote me to make your point. :rolleyes: I also said "if the job is unattractive to the firm due to too much perceived risk or for some other reason (e.g. being asked to audit a Ltd company which has a reputation as being a front for criminal activity or is involved in an industry sector the firm has a policy of avoiding e.g. strip clubs) then it can simply decline the opportunity."

Risk is completely mitigated by declining a job but is also mitigated through limitation of liability clauses in the terms of engagement and via professional indemnity insurance should the engagement agreement not prevent the firm being found negligent in a subsequent court case.
    Complexity is also a bit more intricate than you're suggesting. What might be dealt with by one firm using two senior associates taking a week might be dealt with by another firm using an assistant manager for 8 days.

Thanks for clarifying my point there ref complexity TL. That was EXACTLY the point I was making. If one firm uses 2 x senior associates x 40 hours each at €300 an hour = €24,000 and another firm would tackle the same job using 1 x assistant manager x 64 hours x €450 an hour = €28,800 the first firm would cost €4,800 less and, assuming both firms could start the job on the same day, the first firm would have the job finished 3 working days earlier. See complexity is absolutely reflected in and adjusted by the hours worked by various grades of staff.

QED I'd say ;)

Now, does anyone actually know why the rate cards are not published by organisations who in the case of accountants have a responsibility for delivering transparency????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Are you trolling?

You give the impression as if you've found out some major conspiracy.

You think you've answered the question of risk by saying a company can walk away given certain examples. Really!

C'mon TL, you sound cleverer than to selectively quote me to make your point. :rolleyes: I also said "if the job is unattractive to the firm due to too much perceived risk or for some other reason (e.g. being asked to audit a Ltd company which has a reputation as being a front for criminal activity or is involved in an industry sector the firm has a policy of avoiding e.g. strip clubs) then it can simply decline the opportunity."

Risk is completely mitigated by declining a job but is also mitigated through limitation of liability clauses in the terms of engagement and via professional indemnity insurance should the engagement agreement not prevent the firm being found negligent in a subsequent court case.

Thanks for clarifying my point there ref complexity TL. That was EXACTLY the point I was making. If one firm uses 2 x senior associates x 40 hours each at €300 an hour = €24,000 and another firm would tackle the same job using 1 x assistant manager x 64 hours x €450 an hour = €28,800 the first firm would cost €4,800 less and, assuming both firms could start the job on the same day, the first firm would have the job finished 3 working days earlier. See complexity is absolutely reflected in and adjusted by the hours worked by various grades of staff.

QED I'd say ;)

Now, does anyone actually know why the rate cards are not published by organisations who in the case of accountants have a responsibility for delivering transparency????

You've just given a worked example of how two different firms can give two different quotes based on how they internally staff the job. In a situation where a potential client has looked at the published theoretical rates on both firms websites and then received a quote from both firms, the potential client has now gained nothing from seeing the published rates. In my view, you've answered your own question.

Can you please explain clearly what further explanation you're looking for?

I mean, the very bottom line is, they don't want to publish their rate cards. It's not industry standard, and the firms gain nothing from it. The industry isn't what I would call a price competitive one. It's an industry defined by quality of work and client service, and prides itself on these aspects, not price.

If you're trying to pick fault with the firms for not publishing their rates, or trying to subtly complain about the situation, I don't think there's much more that I can say that will give you what you're looking for.

smcgiff wrote: »
    Are you trolling?

You give the impression as if you've found out some major conspiracy.

You think you've answered the question of risk by saying a company can walk away given certain examples. Really!

No, honestly I'm not.

I know there isn't a "major conspiracy", just old practices which don't reflect modern transparent pricing.

I haven't tried to answer the question of risk by exclusively saying a firm can walk away. Are you trying to troll me? ;) I said risk is managed in a layered manner via limiting liability etc in the engagement agreement, via professional indemnity insurance and ultimately, if the perceived risk is too haigh, by declining the job. Didn't you read my post? :rolleyes:

Ben

the very bottom line is, they don't want to publish their rate cards. It's not industry standard, and the firms gain nothing from it

TL, I appreciate your genuine effort to address my question.

I know they don't want to publish their rate cards and I know it's not industry standard but I disagree that you can say "the firms gain nothing from it". How do they know? They've never tried it.

Professional services (primarily big Accounting and Legal firms) are one of the last remaining industries where legacy pricing models remain. I accept they have served the industry and in particular the partners of such firms very well over the years but no more than the days of Aer Lingus being able to charge £500 for a flight to London came to an end when Ryan Air introduced a novel pricing model I hope the days of the big firm cartel pricing will soon come to an end also.

I don't expect you guys to agree with me of course but nevertheless I've enjoyed having the discussion and thank you for your contributions.

Best to bring the curtain down now before the debate descends into some pointless tit for tat stuff.

Slan

Ben

Advertisement