Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Allowance

Options
  • 15-03-2013 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

My daughter and her son are living at home with us in the family home. She is applying for One Parent Allowance and needs us to write a letter to say this is where she is living. Now she also wants to move out and will be applying for rent allowance but needs to get the One Parent Family Allowane first, my question is will she still be able to qualify for RA if we write this letter to say she is living at home? If anyone can help or advise I would appreciate it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Probably won't qualify for RA as you need to have rented privately for six months or more. Is she on the council housing list?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Ms House wrote: »
    My daughter and her son are living at home with us in the family home. She is applying for One Parent Allowance and needs us to write a letter to say this is where she is living. Now she also wants to move out and will be applying for rent allowance but needs to get the One Parent Family Allowane first, my question is will she still be able to qualify for RA if we write this letter to say she is living at home? If anyone can help or advise I would appreciate it.

Renting from a parent: You cannot get Rent Supplement to help you pay rent to your parent if you are living in the family home. from here http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/rent_supplement.html

Step one for your daughter would be to get the forms for local authority housing fill them in and send them off.If she is assessed as in need of housing she may qualify for rent allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭amtw

As said by poster above your daughter will have to apply to the local authority and they will assess her to see if she has a housing need and if so she can then apply for Rent Supplement. They will look at her current housing situation to see whether or not she has a housing need. If there is plenty of room in your house for her and the baby and the accommodation is suitable then they may say that her housing needs have been met and she cannot then apply for RS.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Ms House

amtw, can they actually do that as there would be space here in our house, would she not be entitled to RA (once she qualifies) on her own standing being their own family etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Yes, that can happen. If your house is deemed to have enough space for your daughter and grandchild, then she won't qualify for RA.

Her best bet is to get on the council housing list. Has this been done as yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭rigu

Probably won't qualify for RA as you need to have rented privately for six months or more. Is she on the council housing list?

can anyone advice, if I'd be able to qualify for Rent Allowance if not in receipt of any Social Welfare and working 20 hours a week. I'm on the council housing list.

thank you

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

rigu wrote: »
    can anyone advice, if I'd be able to qualify for Rent Allowance if not in receipt of any Social Welfare and working 20 hours a week. I'm on the council housing list.

thank you
    You should apply and see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

You need to have rented privately OR have been assessed and seen to have a housing need.

One or the other, not both, as some CWO's seem to trot out.

Advertisement