Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Grant - Pale Green Ghosts

Options
  • 15-03-2013 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

Didn't see a thread on this so I said I'd kick one off.

As a huge fan of his debut album "Queen of Denmark" I was hotly anticipating the new album and so far I'm certainly not disappointed. It reminds a bit of the latest Bon Iver release in a way in that theres a definite 80's synth feel on some of the songs.

Also very interesting that he's collaborated with Sinead O Connor on some of the tracks. Their voices blend beautifully and it adds an extra dimension.

Anyone else checked this out yet?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Ye I only came across the album on Spotify last night, had never heard of him before. Really impressive. Such a wide variety of music on the album. I've posted GMF in the songs you've recently discovered thread.

He's playing the rhythm and roots festival in Kilkenny in May, so I'm definitely going to go along to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭mosstin

Really good interview with him here.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

"Pale Green Ghosts";).......anywho.......I love it! got into him with "Queen Of Denmark",saw him around them too(going to see him again in May,well worth seeing live folks if you haven't already)new album is completely different so can imagine some people scratching their heads at the synths on the new one,have to admire him for doing whatever the hell he wants after finally getting some success,couldnt be accused of pandering or selling out that's for that damn sure!

Im not big on synths but his deep voice over them really works,some more great off the wall "did he just say that?" lyrics too......can see this being one of my albums of the year already

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Listened to it yesterday, very good. Last track is sublime. He's been through a lot of sh1t in his life and its great to see him have some success.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭bullpost

Picked it up on http://www.7digital.ie for a fiver. Listened to it last night and am really impressed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭deeks

Thanks for the edit Gonzonvision. Typo!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Knew nothing of him before, but gave the album a listen. An early contender for album of the year for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭donglen

Didn't know him.......was on Jools Holland Friday night..........like it, will buy the album. I suspect he's one of these that I think is ok to start off but grow to think that it's gold.
    I like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Queen of Denmark is an amazing album, well deserved the Mojo album of the year at the time.

Pale Green is a lot different, but excellent.

John Grant is a genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭lewisdhead

Check out his band The Czars. Some gems there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Manchegan

Advertisement