Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USA NR-EMT

Options
  • 14-03-2013 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭

Pretty long winded problem here, but any information, direction or help is GREATLY appreciated. I'm like a deer in the head-lights and no one seems to have answers. Lets get to it...

I'm looking to study in the USA to do NR-EMT. I've done a small bit of research with the time I have however, I'm not getting very far at all as a lot of funding related topics really gall me. Does anyone have any direct experience with studying in the USA?

Is there a funding system or even a decent loan system in the USA for "aliens"?

I don't have the financial backing that other families would have to swan off to another country to study so I'm literally looking at getting some sort of loan that would cover my living / education fees?

Finally, if anyone has done something similar when moving from Ireland to study NR-EMT, where do you start? Or a good place to study? I'm so confused... I've been let down on every academic corner in Ireland with Paramedic training so it's come down to this.

Any info at all I'd greatly appreciate,

I dunno if I'm allowed stick a thread like this in here, I apologize if I'm not :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭19hz

I don't know about the USA but why not do the Paramedic in the UK?
    Same skill level as an AP in Ireland.

HPC registration as a Para can be used almost anywhere in the world.
    USA EMT differs from state to state and even within some states from what I've heard although could be wrong.

Can do a foundation degree in UK in two years. You can visit home a few times a year unlike the states!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

The wage for EMT's in the states seems to be crap. Much rather do it in the UK!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

19hz wrote: »
    I don't know about the USA but why not do the Paramedic in the UK?
    Same skill level as an AP in Ireland.

HPC registration as a Para can be used almost anywhere in the world.
    USA EMT differs from state to state and even within some states from what I've heard although could be wrong.

Can do a foundation degree in UK in two years. You can visit home a few times a year unlike the states!!

Is it recognized as AP through reciprocity with PHECC?

Also, I wouldn't be staying in the USA for my "career" I'm looking at the ESTI Pilot program (IPP) and thinking about Australia once qualified.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭BoonDoc

PHECC have given paramedic qualifications for the NREMT Paramedic but you will have to have a lot more experience than just the course. The same goes for the UK Paramedic.

There are two options here in Ireland for earning your US Paramedic. One company in Wexford already has students on the course who finish in July. The other Dublin crowd are still looking to start their first course.

As far as the UK paramedic, the only way to get that one is to go to the UK and do a two year degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭touge_drift

Miike wrote: »

Also, I wouldn't be staying in the USA for my "career" I'm looking at the ESTI Pilot program (IPP) and thinking about Australia once qualified.

if your looking at the esti's program you would have enough to go over and do it yourself without a grant id reckon.

• Advertisement

You will not be able to work in the US with the NREMT Paramedic qualification unless you are a US resident.

In fact, you will need a visa to take the ESTI paramedic programme. You will be there for over 16 weeks.

There are shorter options with partial online training that will cut down your time in the US. The other programme here offers the paramedic course with only 7 weeks in the US. You only need a visitors visa for that one.

Be sure to talk with the HR rep for the job that you want in Australia to make sure that they will take the NREMT Paramedic. Sometimes they want the Australia diploma back paramedic programme.

BoonDoc wrote: »
    You will not be able to work in the US with the NREMT Paramedic qualification unless you are a US resident.

In fact, you will need a visa to take the ESTI paramedic programme. You will be there for over 16 weeks.

There are shorter options with partial online training that will cut down your time in the US. The other programme here offers the paramedic course with only 7 weeks in the US. You only need a visitors visa for that one.

Be sure to talk with the HR rep for the job that you want in Australia to make sure that they will take the NREMT Paramedic. Sometimes they want the Australia diploma back paramedic programme.

The ESTI IPP lands you with Australasian Registry Paramedic AREMT-P which is recognized in Queensland and other parts of Australia. I won't be going on the pilot program anyway it'll be at least next year before I act.

Thanks for the responses to far by the way, I really appreciate it :)

The ESTI IPP lands you with Australasian Registry Paramedic AREMT-P which is recognized in Queensland and other parts of Australia. I won't be going on the pilot program anyway it'll be at least next year before I act.

Thanks for the responses to far by the way, I really appreciate it :)

Hi Mike,

ESTI is not on the AREMT website as a training provider. Where did you hear that they give AREMT quals?
    Also, I would suggest that you contact Queensland directly to see if they actually do accept the AREMT cert.
    Don't trust what training providers tell you. Research what they say before you buy into it.

Buyer beware.

Hi Mike,

ESTI is not on the AREMT website as a training provider. Where did you hear that they give AREMT quals?
    Also, I would suggest that you contact Queensland directly to see if they actually do accept the AREMT cert.
    Don't trust what training providers tell you. Research what they say before you buy into it.

Buyer beware.

Oh I certainly know to research it before I do anything.

It's not the ESTI that will be the register it's their partner in Missouri that will take care of that side of things (AREMT) (So it's been told.) I don't have the name right now but I'll get it when I'm home. But the where I got that information is from ESTI directly. I've a metric f tonne of information on their IPP to sift through.

Oh I certainly know to research it before I do anything.

It's not the ESTI that will be the register it's their partner in Missouri that will take care of that side of things (AREMT) (So it's been told.) I don't have the name right now but I'll get it when I'm home. But the where I got that information is from ESTI directly. I've a metric f tonne of information on their IPP to sift through.

Yeah, there is no Missouri affiliate on the AREMT website......

Sounds rather fishy.......

Especially since there are registered AREMT affiliates in the UK (SOS), Denmark (PPA), and here in Ireland (RMI).

• Advertisement

Yeah, there is no Missouri affiliate on the AREMT website......

Sounds rather fishy.......

Especially since there are registered AREMT affiliates in the UK (SOS), Denmark (PPA), and here in Ireland (RMI).

I've not looked into it in great detail just yet however that is strange. I'll contact ESTI and query it should I not have the answer in the information they've supplied me with. I'll keep you posted on any updates, if you wish

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭19hz

Firstly there is no set criteria, PHECC take every case at its own merits.
    If you do the degree in UK and immediately come back to Ireland you will most likely get Para reg.
    However if you work over there in the UK as a HPC reg para for a couple of years and have a couple of thousand hours of experience I reckon you'd be more likely to gain AP reg.

I'm not an expert, this is just my impression from what I've seen and heard, fully open to correction by anyone that has any experience with it?

Advertisement