Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duness Storess employees can't use a parking

Options
  • 14-03-2013 7:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Friend of mine told me, that all employess can't use a parking around the shops/shopping centres for an Easter period.

Is it legal???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

m.kot wrote: »
    Friend of mine told me, that all employess can't use a parking around the shops/shopping centres for an Easter period.

Is it legal???

Do Dunnes or the shopping centre own the car park, is the car park for customers use?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,303 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Maybe the car park is being re-done or there is an event on.

You do realise that if staff fill the car park that no customers can use it and the staff would ultimately lose their jobs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 m.kot

Victor wrote: »
    Maybe the car park is being re-done or there is an event on.

You do realise that if staff fill the car park that no customers can use it and the staff would ultimately lose their jobs?

It's only for.Easter (25/03-01/04). Never happend before as she works over there for nearly 6 years... the shop is very close to Gaelic Grounds and Thomond Park (Limerick) and is usually overcrowded during the match time with no issues.

It is likely that Dunnes has around 500 parking spaces for customers (bank and McDonald's customers are parking over there as well) with meaby 20 employees' cars...

Oh and of course managers are.allowed.for a.parking...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,165 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

If it's Dunnes car park then, yes, they can tell their employees (or some of their employees) not to use it, so as to leave it free for customers.

Only way to argue against that would be to show that the provision of an on-site parking space is an express or implied term of the contract of employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

^^ What Peregrinus says.

Unless the contract of employment guarantees a parking spot in that car park for each employee, then the company are free to tell staff that only customers may use the car park.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Whatever happened to that €200 car parking levy that thr government brought out several years ago? Never heard of it ever being implemented. Was it scrapped?

Don't believe the levy ever happened.

Is there a time delay on parking their cars in the car park? I.e. could they purchase something small from Dunnes and leave their car there all day?

Dónal wrote: »
    Is there a time delay on parking their cars in the car park? I.e. could they purchase something small from Dunnes and leave their car there all day?
    Depends on the car park. Not sure where the OP is referring to, maybe it's all Dunne's, but at the Pavilion's in Swords you get two hours of free parking, then charges begin. The nearby Penney's carpark charges from the moment you enter. I believe that the Blanchardstown Centre has free parking all day, bar the Westend bit which has a three hour restriction. I think they clamp rather than offer an opportunity to pay for parking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

I suggested to the missus that here in Newbridge Tesco could score brownie points with a giant banner proclaiming "Dunnes Staff welcome to park here". Might go see the manager.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

That's silly, for this site at least anyway. The place has a massive underground car park. The only places open in it are Dunnes, BB's, Unicare, carphone warehouse, and an elvery's.

I was in there today and there were plenty of cars parked near the door, but only about a quarter of the spaces were in use.

http://goo.gl/maps/tSBf9

Any chance they asked the staff to park in another area of the car park?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Dunnes Cornelscourt has also banned staff-parking between now and Easter. It's always congested at busy periods though. Perhaps it was felt a nationwide policy would be fairer than just some stores?

ken wrote: »
    I suggested to the missus that here in Newbridge Tesco could score brownie points with a giant banner proclaiming "Dunnes Staff welcome to park here". Might go see the manager.
    Compared to the expense of not having parking available to paying customers, would that really gain them all that much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Compared to the expense of not having parking available to paying customers, would that really gain them all that much?
    Publicity and that's priceless.

Advertisement