Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russian Tea in Dublin? / Русский чай &#1

Options
  • 14-03-2013 2:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I am watching the great new Cold War television drama "The Americans".

I would like to try the Russian tea that the KGB and embassy staff enjoy.

Is there anywhere in Dublin city that serves Russian Tea?

Привет всем

Я наблюдаю большое новой холодной войны телевизионной драме "Американцы".

Я хотел бы попробовать русский чай, что КГБ и сотрудники посольства нравится.

Есть ли где-нибудь в Дублине, который служит Русский чай?

russian-tea-glass.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

Hey! I'm not sure where to get an authentic Russian tea experience in Dublin. There's a place called Olesya's near Stephen's Green which might do it? Ya tozhe tak hochu, chai s limonom, buterbrodi, vkusnie torti...

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭simon0brien

Hi all

I am watching the great new Cold War television drama "The Americans".

I would like to try the Russian tea that the KGB and embassy staff enjoy.

Is there anywhere in Dublin city that serves Russian Tea?

Привет всем

Я наблюдаю большое новой холодной войны телевизионной драме "Американцы".

Я хотел бы попробовать русский чай, что КГБ и сотрудники посольства нравится.

Есть ли где-нибудь в Дублине, который служит Русский чай?

russian-tea-glass.jpg

The Moldova shop at Capel St. has Russian tea in a packet but that's prob. not what you r after :O

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭survivor2

The Americans TV series?

:D:confused: haha, as a Russian I can say it is very funny to watch the stamps which American movie-and TV producers are using to show Russians and Russia(Hollywood is the best in this case,of course).

In Russia (they show) it's always snowing,Russians always sing just one song KALINKA and play BALALAIKA,dancing with bears :D.

Drink only vodka,but if they drink tea they always use SAMOVAR (the special big Asian style teapot as they used a long ago in ancient Russia,Iran etc, showed on the picture above).

Yeah, you're right this is the Cold War in twenty first century.
    And this is very convenient for both sides rulers:to keep the walls in peoples minds.

I offer to your attention just one (if you want I can find out more) feedback from a simple Russian who was watching this drama I've found in Russian web segment.I translated for you:
    It was interesting to watch (if,suddenly, they have created something worthwhile, just once,about our spies ,without outright libel), but when you watch TV series, it seems that it "sculpted" during the Cold War time. The same mistakes, the same attitude to the Russian (narrow-minded, with wild instincts,sadistic violence.Some kind of abomination and an incredible nonsense.It seems to me that the sequel will be perhaps even more "Jungle"? ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭barneysplash

I think the show portrays the Russian spies well.

Humane & Rational - Philip
    Wise & Mature - Vasili
    Devious & Seductive - Elizabeth
    Committed & Motherly - Claudia
    Clever & Sexy - Nina :)

Are there any good Russian Television shows with English subtitles about the Cold War?
    Or even good drama of any type? I have never seen any but I think their perspective
    would be most interesting.

On a different forum site I was involved in a discussion about an article on Soviet-era
    computers:

http://www.micromart.co.uk/pc/emulators/390/russian-computers-computers-came-cold

I found the article was poor quality as the journalist writing it did not have a native Russian
    speaker working with him.

Here is a great documentary called "Tetris: From Russia with Love"
    from the BBC. It tells the story of the development, spread and legacy
    of the game Tetris. Originally created as a plaything of soviet computer
    scientists, Tetris went on to become one of the world's most famous computer
    games.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0074pz0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koruCIIa2rU

• Advertisement

There are no good series in Russia about Russian spies because they make only fake,boring and "overpatriotic" characters for the propaganda goals.

But there's one very popular "epic" series from early 70's dedicated to fictional spy who was working inside the "heart" of Nazi Germany.

Probably,this is most popular and unique phenomenon in Soviet(and still in Russian) cinema when all nation accepted the film and this film is still popular.Maybe,because first time in Soviet era the director showed Germans as clever,strong and "real" decent enemies.Not like before: they were showing only stupid ugly or funny animals called "fascists"

Thank you,barneysplash,for your information :)

I'll start to watch The Americans today from the beginning and I'll place my own feedback soon.

Thank you for posting the information about "17 Moments of spring"
    From the Wikipedia article it appears to be a significant milestone
    in Soviet television.

A link on Google also mentioned the programme "ТАСС уполномочен заявить..."
    / "TASS Is Authorized to Declare..." from the same author:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TASS_Is_Authorized_to_Declare...

Has anyone seen this show?

Are these shows available on DVD with English subtitles?
    Maybe in some Russian shop is Dublin?

There are some good shows recommended in the thread in the television forum,
    I have recommended some myself:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055689569&page=6

Please note that this discussions is not permitted by the moderators on this thread.
    This is because it is a "sticky" thread this is kept at the top of the forum for reference.

For an open discussion please visit this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056924983&page=2

I have posted some information here also.

Why not post up some information about Russian or any other show you like
    in one of these threads? Or start your own thread in the Television forum. :)

OK,we respect the rules here :)

About TASS upolnomochen zayavit'. I've found this movie from Brezhnev's time too boring.

Much worse even than "Ошибка резидента" http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%9E%D1%88%D0%B8%D0%B1%D0%BA%D0%B0_%D1%80%D0%B5%D0%B7%D0%B8%D0%B4%D0%B5%D0%BD%D1%82%D0%B0

Please add some of these shows to the threads in Television and Film forums,
    I'm sure the "film buffs" in the film forum would love to discuss Russian cinema.
    I know a lot of serious film fans really like the film "Solaris" by Andrei Arsenyevich Tarkovsky
    / Андре́й Арсе́ньевич Тарко́вский :

Solyaris_ussr_poster.jpg

I prefer the remake with George Clooney:

Solaris2002poster.jpg

I see a lot of cool looking DVDs in European and Asian shops -
    Indian Bollywood films, Russian action films, these are rich areas that
    we can now start to enjoy, just like the teas, sweets and goodies in these shops :D

• Advertisement

Please add some of these shows to the threads in Television and Film forums

Done http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056931848

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

I like the new show 'The Americans', but for the 80s vibe and the insight into how sure the FBI was about themselves, their information and their outlook. It is kind of a funny time capsule. The dynamics between the characters are interesting too, with the exception of the lady boss, who is somewhat of a caricature!

As far as the inaccurate portrayal of Russia, I think it simply reflects what many Americans thought of Russia then - after all, Russian territories in Atlases were blued out back then and people came up with all sorts of hilarious concepts!

Taken with a grain of salt it can be enjoyed for its kitsch value.

Advertisement