Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does tax deduction gets less if I'm Married?

Options
  • 13-03-2013 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭

Hi,
    I am working in an IT job.Recently I got married.So if I change my marital status from single to married, will the tax deductions get less?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Trend Setter in Training

kevincool wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am working in an IT job.Recently I got married.So if I change my marital status from single to married, will the tax deductions get less?

Assuming you got married this year then yourself and your spouse will continue to be trated as single persons for this tax year. If you pay more tax combined as single tax people then you would have as a married couple you can claim a refund next year.

After that said it all depends if your spouse is working and what her financial situation is. If you are the main or sole earner then you should change your cut-offs and tax credits to reflect marital status and then assuming you earn over the relevant thresholds your tax deductions will decrease.

For more info see here:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/tax/income_tax/taxation_of_married_people.html

Advertisement