Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Repayment Reduced or Cancelled

Options
  • 13-03-2013 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

When is repayment reduced or cancelled?

The Department of Social Protection makes every effort to recover the overpayment in full. The Department may reduce or cancel an overpayment if it occurred because it:
    • Failed to act within a reasonable period of time on information it received about you
    • Made an mistake that you could not reasonably be expected to have noticed
    If you think that the Department has made an error, you should bring the matter to the Department's attention as soon as possible.

Friend on Disability Allowance has demand for recovery of 1 week DA over payment, which on checking seems correct.

This overpayment happened on 13 July 2012, 8 months ago.

Is it worth his while appealing this on the grounds quoted above.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

There's someone on the FIS thread with a demand for an over payment from 2005 iirc. The are taking it out of that person's arrears so I dont think there is much chance of them considering it too long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    There's someone on the FIS thread with a demand for an over payment from 2005 iirc. The are taking it out of that person's arrears so I dont think there is much chance of them considering it too long ago.

2005:eek: oh my god that must have been some shock for them...

they should put a time limit on say sums under €200 being recovered.

If not appealing, does he wait for DSP to contact him again outlining options open to him in repaying the sum. €188

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Their claiming one weeks overpayment, €188 for the period
    11-17th (Wednesday - Tuesday) July 2012.

On the 9th July he started on a Fas Disability type course'

He has a letter from dsp which he received before starting on the course which says:-

Fas will make you work a week in hand so we will pay you your DA for the first week of your fas course.

Your DA will cease on Wednesday 4th July and paying you up to and including Tuesday 10th July (last payment he got from dsp was in bank on 11th July)

On Friday 13th July he got his first payslip from Fas.

I can't see a full weeks overpayment, maybe a couple of days for the Monday and Tuesday of the 9th and 10th July. Anyone agree.

Would last payment received in bank on the 11th July be for the period 11-17th July, ie paid in advance.

Advertisement