Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Head-shaving advice!

Options
  • 13-03-2013 6:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭

So I've been shaving my head for about 2 years now after getting thin on top a few years ago. I mach-3 my head every morning (against the grain to get as close as possible)... But there is still too much shadow for my likings. Any tips? Should I use a different razor?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

Dont have an answer to your question but I'm going thin on top myself, did you find it looked much better when you got the razor at it compared to a number one, or th clippers with no guard? I do a no 3 usually but ship has sailed on that at this point I think

• Administrators Posts: 53,383 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

A safety razor would give you a closer shave again but I've no experience of head shaving with these, only face shaving!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

GRMA wrote: »
    Dont have an answer to your question but I'm going thin on top myself, did you find it looked much better when you got the razor at it compared to a number one, or th clippers with no guard? I do a no 3 usually but ship has sailed on that at this point I think

10 times better! I have a clippers, but it doesn't cut anywhere near as tight as I'd like. When I was only going a bit thin it was fine, but now - not a chance.

I moved over from the Mach-3 to the Fusion as there was a deal on them in Tescos. Seems to be a closer shave now.

I've warmed to the idea of having to shave it every morning to keep it as tight as I need it. I might invest in one of the safety razors at some point down the line.

Fusion seems to be doing the job for the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Out of curiosity - Does anyone use moisturisers after shaving their head? If so - what brands would you recommend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,278 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Have you tried immac?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I went from 4 down to 1 but eventually stopped using the clipper grades and now just use the main blade (zero?) and it looks better (I let my remaining hairline grow for about 2 weeks between each shave).

PS I'd also recommend growing a beard or at least a heavy stubble if you think it suits your face as it can give your face/head shape a completely new (and improved) definition. I've gotten so many compliments since I started doing that and I personally much prefer my appearance now. (Unusual as up to then, I hated beards!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

dlofnep wrote: »
    Out of curiosity - Does anyone use moisturisers after shaving their head? If so - what brands would you recommend.
    Not on my head but I have dry skin and I've found E45 cream to be very good.

Best imo is vaseline, put a coating of it on before bed, wipe/wash off in the morn.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭The Big Lebowsky

I find the Lidl Shark razor far superior to the Gillet mach 3...
    Shaving your head every day isn't a good idea. You should only do it every second or third day, otherwise the skin can become tight and sore. Its Important to use a good moisturiser on your scalp especially after you take a shower...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

dlofnep wrote: »

My wife got me some Liz Earle stuff - usually apply after shaving face and head. To be honest this is normally after the gym so as I am running hot for around another 30 min I end up damping it back off a bit with a towel before I leave.

When applied at home though it absorbs quite well and appears to have stopped or aided in my fight against blade rash. (that battle comes and goes every so often).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

Used to shave my head with a safety razor now use a clippers without a blade guard.
    I use Aloe Vera on my head after a shave, works a treat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Shaving your head every day isn't a good idea. You should only do it every second or third day, otherwise the skin can become tight and sore. Its Important to use a good moisturiser on your scalp especially after you take a shower...

I disagree 100%. What are you basing the above assumption on?
    I shave mine daily for years and have no issues, nor I have ever heard of any non any of the numerous shaving sites I frequent. A proper shaving routine, similar to what you would do for your face, is all you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

I've never used it but this is supposed to be great, sorry using a mobile site so can't insert the link as usual.
    http://www.mankind.co.uk/headblade-sport-scalp-razor/10363443.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

I use a straight blade. Once you learn to do it right and not cut yerself it's amazingly close

• Registered Users Posts: 36 hare

ongarboy wrote: »
    I went from 4 down to 1 but eventually stopped using the clipper grades and now just use the main blade (zero?) and it looks better (I let my remaining hairline grow for about 2 weeks between each shave).

PS I'd also recommend growing a beard or at least a heavy stubble if you think it suits your face as it can give your face/head shape a completely new (and improved) definition. I've gotten so many compliments since I started doing that and I personally much prefer my appearance now. (Unusual as up to then, I hated beards!).
    a beard with a baldy head .people think your heads on upside down.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Not on my head but I have dry skin and I've found E45 cream to be very good.

Best imo is vaseline, put a coating of it on before bed, wipe/wash off in the morn.

I use Oliatum. But e45 would be just as good. I've found the best is a moisturising gel. The reason is because quite often it rains in ireland. If you use a cream, it leaves a residue behind and you end up with a weird white guck running of your head. Thing is although I had this aloe vera gel, I can't find it any more.

I've always wanted to try these guys. they're big in the states but they've never been sold here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭cena

Does anyone here cut there own hair? Do you find it easy.

I cut mine I use the one number all over. I get told by family I have made a mess of the hair

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i went through 3-4 months of using a clippers on my own hair recently, i didnt use any guides though.. just put the blades as tight as they would go.. mainly because i was afraid of waking up the next morning and realising i'd left a **** ton of stray hairs longer than all the others

towards the end I was pretty quick with it, and you kind of get a feel for when you're doing it right. helps to have a small hand mirror so you can confirm the back of your head is done properly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Yep, cut mine weekly with the trimmers (1 blade I think), make sure you feel around the back and the crown of your head to got it all even. Once you're doing it a while you can hear where the hair is being cut and where there is nothing so it makes it a bit easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭cena

I think I do a good job cutting it. I use to get 3 on the back and sides and scissors on the top. I now use either a 5 or 4. 3 is just too short for all over

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Seriously if people are telling you that you are making a mess of it I would listen. Maybe get opinions off others that you can rely on to be honest with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

i've not paid for a haircut since I was a broke student 10 years ago. I do a 3-4 on sides and some massive blade to trim the top. its so quick and easy to do that i'd feel like a sap paying someone else to do it. there have been a few mistakes over the years but nothing that gave me more than a moments concern or was ever noticed by anyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Used to cut it in college so I could save a few quid. But thesedays I prefer the cut I'd get from a barber as I get my hair short on the sides and faded in - could never do a good enough job of this myself when trying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭wallycharlo

I do it at home with a clippers, but I have someone do it for me, I think it's easier not to cock it up that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,689 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Thread merged

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Dr. Nooooo!

Number 1 or no guard? Is there a massive difference?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Number 1 or no guard? Is there a massive difference?

Depends on the shaver tbh. I have a phillips ceramic one that I got years ago and it gives a very tight cut with no guard compared to a #1. The cheap one I had before that gave a much longer cut.

Advertisement