Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wi Fi with Digiweb on MAC connects but no pages?

Options
  • 13-03-2013 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭

Hi folks did a search but cannot see a solution. I have a digiweb (3G? over the air) connection installed and it works on all the devices in the house (PC, iPhone5, iPhone 4S) but on my powerbook it connects gets an IP and everything but no page displays it just hangs there?

Digiweb told me they do not have the training to cover this and that because my other devices are functioning I need to have the MAC looked at ! which I think is unfair it works fine on all other networks.

Does anyone out there have their PB connected and functioning so I can copy their settings? thanks I am sure an Apple Express would solve this very quick but much as I'd like one I don't feel I should have to pay for that myself
    Cheers in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

Take a screen shot of your network settings (under system prefs) and particularly at DNS (under the advanced button). Post screen shot here. The 4s and the 5 are just minimised versions of osx running on your mac so no reason why it shouldn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

How old is the PowerBook ? Older ones had simple Airport cards rather than Airport Extreme. The older cards didn't support WPA ir g/n networks.

Ken

Can you successfully ping a website from the terminal..

Have you used more than one browser.

Thing is he's connecting, getting an ip address, well assuming the address is not 169 xx xx self assigned. It sounds definitely like there's some odd dns in there from another router rather than a public one or one assigned by the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

Thanks for all the replies folks really do appreciate it the machine is a new enough PB (2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 late 2011.)

I have tried Chrome and Safari. I have also connected to the router via cable and renamed the network which I thought might help but no joy.

There are three separate entries in under DNS Nialler i've no photo account to share a link. Could I email you an image or do you know what I could do now? I'm not mad about putting up my IP on here either dunno if that is really relevant or not. It would be great if anyone knew what might fix this!

To make the whole thing even more annoying is bootcamp connects there no prob...:mad:

• Advertisement

They all begin with 83. if that helps?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭TheChizler

You can upload directly to boards. Just blur out the second half of your external ip, probably starts with 83 or something.

Cheers TheChizler I forgot that here are the images blacked out the end of the IP.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Cheers TheChizler I forgot that here are the images blacked out the end of the IP.

No need to blank out those ones! Any of the internal IPs or DNS addresses are general and won't identify you. The 192.... numbers are purely for your internal network, they identify your location even less than if you were to tell us that you were posting from the kitchen. The external IP is the equivalent of telling us your home address, that's the one you want to hide.

Anyway, as long as your Mac is on the same subnet and mask as the router you shouldn't need to post them. Eg. as long as they're respectively for example 192.168.1.xxx and 192.168.1.yyy and the subnet mask is 255.255.255.1 for instance (as long as it is the same on both devices) it should be all right. Can you log into your router, find the DCHP clients section and post a screenshot?

Router's probably 192.168.1.254 or 192.168.1.1, if you've never changed the password it might be written on the bottom of the box.

You might have to connect via an ethernet cable if you can't connect over wifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Apple stopped making PowerBooks back in 2005, what you have is a MacBook Pro. Not being pedantic, just that it brought the thread in a different direction for me. Anyway hope you get it sorted !

Ken

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

mountain lion seems to prefer wpa2 - see if you can change to that

TheChizler wrote: »
    No need to blank out those ones! Any of the internal IPs or DNS addresses are general and won't identify you. The 192.... numbers are purely for your internal network, they identify your location even less than if you were to tell us that you were posting from the kitchen. The external IP is the equivalent of telling us your home address, that's the one you want to hide.

Anyway, as long as your Mac is on the same subnet and mask as the router you shouldn't need to post them. Eg. as long as they're respectively for example 192.168.1.xxx and 192.168.1.yyy and the subnet mask is 255.255.255.1 for instance (as long as it is the same on both devices) it should be all right. Can you log into your router, find the DCHP clients section and post a screenshot?

Router's probably 192.168.1.254 or 192.168.1.1, if you've never changed the password it might be written on the bottom of the box.

You might have to connect via an ethernet cable if you can't connect over wifi.
    Maybe I'm being too security conscious. Thanks v much for the help here is the grab I think this is the one? the address for the router was 192.168.01

ZENER wrote: »
    Apple stopped making PowerBooks back in 2005, what you have is a MacBook Pro. Not being pedantic, just that it brought the thread in a different direction for me. Anyway hope you get it sorted !

Ken

I had one of them (12" G4) thats where i'm getting the PB from :)

Throw these entries into your DNS and see if that resolves the issue, these are Google's public IP addy's.

Configure your network settings to use the IP addresses 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as your DNS servers

Let us know how you get on.

N

Also you may have internet access but the DNS is not resolving, go into your utilities folder, select Network Utility, Ping and ping one of the DNS addresses above and see if you get a result, if you do then it's deffo a DNS issue.

Thanks to TheChizzler and Nialler working now would'nt have had a clue but for you both.

Advertisement