Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geese V Cyclists

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Can you give some commentary or analysis, rather than just posting a link? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

I don't think the writer of the article herself sees it as an issue:
    Birdwatch Ireland lists [the geese's] conservation status as “medium concern”. However, with their current population seemingly in good health and the plethora of suitable habitat which Dublin Bay has to offer, it seems unlikely that an 8 metre wide seafront path would have a major impact on the goose population.
    if you observe the behaviour of geese along the existing cycleway they seem to be remarkably unperturbed by adjacent human activity and continue to forage just below the boundary wall. Surely the same coexistent relationship between cyclists and geese could be forged south of the Liffey?
    Rather than an issue of cyclist vs. geese, perhaps this story is really a case of scape geese taking the blame for a council’s reluctance or inability to fund and implement a new development?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Speaking from my own experience, I see far more of them on football pitches in St Annes park than I ever see along the coast.

Advertisement