Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dromoland Castle Etiquette!!!

Options
  • 12-03-2013 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Help please!!

My boyfriend (25) and I (30) got an amazing Xmas pressie of a voucher for Dromoland. Its for two nights b&b and a dinner, we're heading off on Monday, only problem is I'm afraid we'll be like two little fishies out of water :eek: First time going to such a place and we don't know how formal it is or how strict the dress code is for dinner. We're not sure what to pack really :confused: Does anyone have any advice or experiences to share? We just want to fit in! Also does anyone happen to know if there's a pool? Any help would be greatly appreciated :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

The Earl of Thomond restaurant is pretty formal, I'd recommend a shirt and tie for men. Dromoland Castle is beautiful - Enjoy your stay!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 SkarlettHash

OK thanks, if thats enough that'd be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

These links might be of help -

Dining in Dromoland

Dromoland Spa

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The rule of thumb was always given as if you'd wear it to a full wedding then you can wear it to dinner in Dromoland, they are usually strict enough for people coming for dinner, but residents get some ley-way I think, you'd be better off dropping them a mail to make sure, it really is a fantastic dining experience, it'd be a shame to miss out on it.

Thanks a million! I find it a bit daunting to be honest, its so grand! Looks absolutely fabulous though, I'm sure we'll be fine!!!

• Advertisement

Cheers Clareman, I think I'll do that, an email can't do any harm! Really looking forward to it, just want to do the right thing you know! My mouth is watering here looking at the menus on their site :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The whole grandeur of the place makes it, they will really make you feel like a Lady (and Lord).

Any time I go there I always enjoy trying to act classy, no beer, nice whiskey, nice wine, I even ordered the soufflé the last time I was there, there's a 30 minute wait for those, normally waiting/queueing for things drive me crazy, there it just feels right.

I've just decided I'm brining Mrs. Clareman there for our anniversary this year :)

Well lucky her!!! ;)

I'm so looking forward to relaxing now and being spoilt rotten!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

Afternoon Tea, is an amazing experience too!

Have an absolute ball, it will be a fantastic memory

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Thanks a million! I find it a bit daunting to be honest, its so grand! Looks absolutely fabulous though, I'm sure we'll be fine!!!

No need to be daunted by it. Remember you are a paying guest.

Paying guests keep them in business.

Relax and enjoy your stay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭AaronEnnis

No jeans in the EoT restaurant. The Golf Club has a small swimming pool, it's just a short walk from the Hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭pilate 1

vicwatson wrote: »
    No need to be daunted by it. Remember you are a paying guest.

Paying guests keep them in business.

Relax and enjoy your stay.

paying guest yes but somebody else paid.a bit daunting,hence the first post:P

pilate 1 wrote: »

Exactly pilate1!! Thanks for that :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

Not been to Dromoland (yet, it's on Mrs.Milltown's list though) but been to Ashford Castle a few times and was just as worried as you are the first time but I gather both are very similar. There was a rule about the men needing a jacket and tie for dinner in the restaurant in the evening but beyond that there was no airs or graces or even a hint of staff or guests looking at you like you don't belong there. If anything, it's the staff that make these places so memorable. They'll quietly and politely steer you in the right direction.

BTW, you can take your jacket off as soon as you sit down to dinner, I eventually discovered after they sat us by the roaring fire and I'd been melting for about 15 minutes :o

milltown wrote: »
    Not been to Dromoland (yet, it's on Mrs.Milltown's list though) but been to Ashford Castle a few times and was just as worried as you are the first time but I gather both are very similar. There was a rule about the men needing a jacket and tie for dinner in the restaurant in the evening but beyond that there was no airs or graces or even a hint of staff or guests looking at you like you don't belong there. If anything, it's the staff that make these places so memorable. They'll quietly and politely steer you in the right direction.

BTW, you can take your jacket off as soon as you sit down to dinner, I eventually discovered after they sat us by the roaring fire and I'd been melting for about 15 minutes :o

Haha thanks milltown, I suppose sweating profusely isn't a classy look :) I'm really looking forward to it but I'm glad you all see my point about just wanting to fit in and do the right thing! I emailed them and they just got back to me, no jeans or sneakers in the dining room but no need for a jacket just a shirt. Seems reasonable! My parents stayed in Ashford, they loved it, they're staying in Castle Leslie next, now that's even more terrifying!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Irrelevant who paid for the stay, the op will surely be buying a drink or two etc etc

The point is is that the OP is a guest of the hotel so there is no need for them to be daunted.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭pilate 1

vicwatson wrote: »
    Irrelevant who paid for the stay, the op will surely be buying a drink or two etc etc

The point is is that the OP is a guest of the hotel so there is no need for them to be daunted.

of course there is.if you dont know whats ahead of you, i think its reasonable to find out what the normal etiquette is.

of course there is.if you dont know whats ahead of you i think its reasonable to find out what the normal etiquette is.

You hit the nail on the head there pilate 1! Thanks to everyone for their input, I'm less worried now, it'll be an experience to remember I'm sure :)

Advertisement