Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Auris Gearbox Issue

Options
  • 12-03-2013 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭

Hi guys. Gearbox went in 07 Auris diesel. Just looking for opinions on rebuilding or replacing. Would €700 be a good price for a second hand one. Thats just for gearbox itself not for labour. All input appreciated Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

I think 700e for a second hand box is way too much. Does that include a warranty?

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭littlesthobo

Sitec wrote: »
    I think 700e for a second hand box is way too much. Does that include a warranty?

I actually dont know, only thought of that after. Am also making the assumption that its VAT inclusive. Will have to wait till morning to ring and ask. Its also off a newer vehicle than my own (10 reg) but they couldnt tell me the mileage on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,395 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

10 reg could be 6 speed, yours is 5 speed
    Recon would be a better option IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 49 limiter12

Try this lad, he usually has service exchange gearboxes in stock.http://www.jerryoconnorcars.com/services.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

I wouldn't get a 2nd hand. It could well be in nearly the same condition as the one you take out.

You can get yours reconditioned or get a part exchange reconditioned box. Have a look on donedeal, there a lad in mayo advertising part exchange reconditioned boxes for toyotas.

I just got one rebuilt last week (not with the guy above). If you need more info let me know.

• Advertisement

The one ive sourced is 5 speed according to the guy i spoke to on the phone. I know a guy who can rebuild it for me alright and would be reasonable but is a distance away so i would have to get it sent up to him. I am nervous about getting a 2nd hand one considering the expense and probable lack of a warranty with it. I can only afford to do this once. I also get the impression that the garage where the car is would prefer to replace rather than rebuild.

Rebuilding should cost €300-€400 not including the removal and refitting of the gearbox, depending on the condition of the box or in other words, how long you have driven it with dodgy bearings.

If you're considering getting a second hand box for 700e, get the refurb instead. You don't know what you're buying 2nd hand (even if it's from a 2010). Make sure the person refurbing the box is competent though.

What mileage did it go at as a matter of interest?

What exactly happened the gearbox? Full failure or difficulty getting gears?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Sitec wrote: »
    What exactly happened the gearbox? Full failure or difficulty getting gears?
    Or it could be noisy bearings, which would cause gearbox failure if not replacedcon time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

I would imagine its the Bearings making noise, you should be able to have the box recon'd for about 700 inc labour and VAT

Bought van at 87k box went at160k. Was on slip Road joining motorway accelerating in 3rd gear when it went bang. Was a flapping noise just before bang but had no idea what it was.Drove car 3 k in 2nd gear to garage so mite have done more damage there

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

I would imagine its the Bearings making noise, you should be able to have the box recon'd for about 700 inc labour and VAT
    If it was only bearings any decent mechanic should be able to open the box up and fit new ones, however me thinks it's gone beyond that stage ;-)

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    If it was only bearings any decent mechanic should be able to open the box up and fit new ones, however me thinks it's gone beyond that stage ;-)
    There might well be more damage than just bearings but I suppose we won't know til we get it out. Thanks to everyone for their input

By the the sound of that chances are a bearing has collapsed now, and there's all sorts of nasty inside, Will probably need a gear or two, maybe a casing.

If thats the case just go with a second hand box.

By the the sound of that chances are a bearing has collapsed now, and there's all sorts of nasty inside, Will probably need a gear or two, maybe a casing.

If thats the case just go with a second hand box.
    Any ideas on costs, worst case scenario

Casing that normally see damage is about 350, gears are about 80-100, all plus vat. I would say you are looking at 1300 if its not completely shagged.

I would recommend going with a second hand box if you need a casing. Did you notice a loud humming noise coming from the van before hand ??

Casing that normally see damage is about 350, gears are about 80-100, all plus vat. I would say you are looking at 1300 if its not completely shagged.

I would recommend going with a second hand box if you need a casing. Did you notice a loud humming noise coming from the van before hand ??

It's a shame to let the box get that far. As I mentioned earlier, to get the bearings done if done on time shouldn't cost any more than €3-400. (Plus removal and refitting the box)

Cant say that i noticed a humming beforehand. It has to come out in any event so im gonna get sent up to my mate to have a look at it and we can make a call once we see what kinda damage is there. Thanks again lads

• Advertisement
Advertisement