Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

waiting for prequals to update...

Options
  • 12-03-2013 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭

Hello...

hope someone from eircom and vodafone reads this !

I recently had a fault on my line which caused the ADSL to go down for about a day. It came back up and eircom investigated the problem. it turned out to be a dodgy phone in my house...!

anyway. while the engineer was here i asked about my line speed.
    i've had a pitiful 2.55Mbps / 0.3Mbps for years now.

The engineer said my line was now testing perfect and i am only 1 mile from the exchange so i should get WAY better than 2.5Mbps.

he tested the line with his official eircom line tester device and the result was my line is capable of 11Mbps !!!!!!!!!!

WAY better than i get now.
    I took a photo of the result for proof !

Vodafone is my provider and so i called them to ask for my speed to be upgraded to match what the line can take now.

I spent about 30 minutes arguing with tech support about this - they claimed my line was only capable of 2Mbps.
    clearly that is rubbish as i have had a solid 2.5 for years and now my line tests BY EIRCOM THEMSELVES at 11Mbps...

after much arguing they told me that they must wait for the 'prequals' to update before they can up my speed.

this apparently happens once a month automatically ...

what i want to know is - when???
    Can i get it done manually in advance of the normal cycle ?? will the prequal test mirror what the eircom engineer found while at my premises ?

Vodafone were quite adamant that i would never get 11Mbps here... yet that is what was on the tester.

Current Connection Rate:
    384 k up
    3072 k down

Max Rate Up: 864 k
    Max Rate Down: 11552 k

Margin Up: 19 dB
    Margin Down: 24 dB

Atten Up: 12 dB
    Atten Down: 23 dB

IMG_3082.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Cork981

You have very good line stats you should be able to get more the 11mb if your on a adsl2+ profile.

You should request that vodafone give you lower snr target of say 9, this will give you considerably higher speed and ensure stability.

If you find it's dropping out in the evenings then request an snr of 12.

Are you on a llu or bitstream exchange ?

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭sibergoth

hi,

thanks for that.

I'm pretty sure my exchange is the standard ADSL. not ADSL2. i don't think it was ever upgraded and i don't think it will be - the engineer was telling me that a nearby town will be fibre enabled in the next three weeks and that its POSSIBLE that a spur will be run up the road to us as its not far away... so maybe my exchange will go to fibre sooner than it would go NGB.

what do you mean by SNR ?
    how do i get vodafone to believe me that the line quality is better now ?? they won't take my word (or the evidence of the photo) as good enough.. they say they need eircom to update the prequals before they can do anything.

I work from home, in the IT industry and i rely on my broadband... I've been suffering with 2.55Mbps for long enough!! i want it updated ASAP!

Adam.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Cork981

sibergoth wrote: »
    hi,

thanks for that.

I'm pretty sure my exchange is the standard ADSL. not ADSL2. i don't think it was ever upgraded and i don't think it will be - the engineer was telling me that a nearby town will be fibre enabled in the next three weeks and that its POSSIBLE that a spur will be run up the road to us as its not far away... so maybe my exchange will go to fibre sooner than it would go NGB.

what do you mean by SNR ?
    how do i get vodafone to believe me that the line quality is better now ?? they won't take my word (or the evidence of the photo) as good enough.. they say they need eircom to update the prequals before they can do anything.

I work from home, in the IT industry and i rely on my broadband... I've been suffering with 2.55Mbps for long enough!! i want it updated ASAP!

Adam.

That would be great if you got upgraded to NGB.

You snr margins currently is 24, that's your signal to noise ratio.
    The lower that is the higher your line will sync at.
    Some lines can hold onto sync at 1-2 snr.
    Your is currently 24 which is over kill.
    The reason for this is your slow sync speed, in other words there is a lot more to be got from your line.
    I know with llu vodafone and directly adjust the snr but not sure if they can with a resold Eircom connection.

Your best bet is to ring them and request a snr target of 9 - 12 because your current one of 24 is to high.

interesting... but vodafone still claim they can't change anything until eircom update the prequal figures :(

thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I reckon if you changed to Eircom you would get better speeds. Eircom have more options to change the speeds than they allow the other operators.

Completely uncompetitive behaviour that I have proof of that Comreg won't act on.

• Advertisement

i emailed vodafone and said that if i don't get updated within a month i WILL switch back to Eircom........ contract or no contract..! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Any provider would be able to contact Eircom Wholesale to have the prequal re-run, or logging a Slow Response fault to have Wholesale adjust it.
    I'm not sure if it's changed since, but prequals used to be run on the second tuesday of every month.
    Now that your line fault is resolved, after Tuesday 9th of April, the prequal should be updated.

nice one, cheers for that info !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Cork981 wrote: »
    That would be great if you got upgraded to NGB.

You snr margins currently is 24, that's your signal to noise ratio.
    The lower that is the higher your line will sync at.
    Some lines can hold onto sync at 1-2 snr.
    Your is currently 24 which is over kill.
    The reason for this is your slow sync speed, in other words there is a lot more to be got from your line.
    I know with llu vodafone and directly adjust the snr but not sure if they can with a resold Eircom connection.

Your best bet is to ring them and request a snr target of 9 - 12 because your current one of 24 is to high.

It's very important that the difference between SNR and signal margin is clarified. For ADSL1, an SNR of 6dB = signal margin of 0dB.

For ADSL2 or ADSL2+, an SNR of 3dB = signal margin of 0dB. Most modems report in terms of signal margin and the target most modems from eircom and resellers use is a signal margin of 6dB. If the speed is increased, the modem will automatically adjust speed to get a margin of 6dB if everything's working okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭domeld

Send me pm with Your phone number, I will test line and tell You if vodafone is right.

• Advertisement

hi, thanks for the offer, but how will you do that ???

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

Hello...

hope someone from eircom and vodafone reads this !

I recently had a fault on my line which caused the ADSL to go down for about a day. It came back up and eircom investigated the problem. it turned out to be a dodgy phone in my house...!

anyway. while the engineer was here i asked about my line speed.
    i've had a pitiful 2.55Mbps / 0.3Mbps for years now.

The engineer said my line was now testing perfect and i am only 1 mile from the exchange so i should get WAY better than 2.5Mbps.

he tested the line with his official eircom line tester device and the result was my line is capable of 11Mbps !!!!!!!!!!

WAY better than i get now.
    I took a photo of the result for proof !

Vodafone is my provider and so i called them to ask for my speed to be upgraded to match what the line can take now.

I spent about 30 minutes arguing with tech support about this - they claimed my line was only capable of 2Mbps.
    clearly that is rubbish as i have had a solid 2.5 for years and now my line tests BY EIRCOM THEMSELVES at 11Mbps...

after much arguing they told me that they must wait for the 'prequals' to update before they can up my speed.

this apparently happens once a month automatically ...

what i want to know is - when???
    Can i get it done manually in advance of the normal cycle ?? will the prequal test mirror what the eircom engineer found while at my premises ?

Vodafone were quite adamant that i would never get 11Mbps here... yet that is what was on the tester.

Current Connection Rate:
    384 k up
    3072 k down

Max Rate Up: 864 k
    Max Rate Down: 11552 k

Margin Up: 19 dB
    Margin Down: 24 dB

Atten Up: 12 dB
    Atten Down: 23 dB

IMG_3082.JPG

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

What I don't understand is why they won't just up the speed of the line - NGB customers have paid for "up to 8 mbps" connections anyway. They should just be given the max speed the line can handle. More silliness on eircom wholesale's part.

I don't get it either, surely they could at least TRY it and see if it worked ... (which it would)

no physical access to the exchange is required, its just a remote switch done ! i don't see why they couldn't up the speed profile for an hour and see if it held OK, if not, switch it back...

This is no longer a technical issue, merely a bureaucracy issue !! As always !!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭domeld

HI,
    I have access to portal where can I make speedtest. this portal is connected to eircom database.

PS. I spend few weeks speaking to vodafone that my line can get up to 15 Mb (not just like they said 12). They had to conntact to eircom to switch my profile from adsl to adsl 2+

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭.Bob

I don't get it either, surely they could at least TRY it and see if it worked ... (which it would)

no physical access to the exchange is required, its just a remote switch done ! i don't see why they couldn't up the speed profile for an hour and see if it held OK, if not, switch it back...

This is no longer a technical issue, merely a bureaucracy issue !! As always !!

the line to the exchange can handle 11, but the back-haul from exchange to the network is probably not fiber and has a limited capacity, limiting the speeds customers are allowed to sync at.

this is to keep contention ratios low.

people in the village confirm they DO already get 8Mbps...

Advertisement